2006 MacBook Pro overheating. Options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by network23, Dec 3, 2008.

1. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

I have a 2006 "Core Duo" 2.0 15" MacBook Pro that I've been using as a media player for my downloaded videos and DVDs. It has been overheating. I regularly get horizontal "artifacts" across my desktop and some desktop icons get "garbled". When it overheats, the screen goes all crazy and locks up.

I've been running SMCFanControl at maximum for some time now but that doesn't seem to help anymore. Yesterday I was playing video and the temp was at 170F (probably higher than that as I couldn't see the temp when the video was in full screen mode).

Any ideas or thoughts on why it's running so hot? What can I do to get this fixed? This really burns me (not literally, I don't actually use this on my lap !:eek:!) that I was a fool and forgot to get Applecare (I was doing some contracting work in another state when the 1 year warranty ran out)

Any ideas on what this will cost to get fixed?

Thanks!

2. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i have the 2007 MBP and it runs pretty hot as well.

i usually run it in clamshell mode, but i keep it on top of an aluminum plate and it acts like a heat sink.

i'd recommend you to do the same. adding an external fan will help too.

3. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Dead/Stuck Fan?

Can you verify that the fans are working correctly? My 2006 MBP had a fan die and it started getting really hot. This was probably due to the build up of dust in the system over the years.

Repairs didn't cost anything since I was able to take it apart myself and repair it. The iFixit guides are quite good for that.

4. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

SMCFanControl reports the fan speeds, so unless it is wrong, both fans are working. I have both maxed out at 6000, and both hover right around 6000 for fan1 and 5995 for fan2.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Accidentally posted this in another thread... :confused:

Does the 2006 MBP have the 8600 GT in it? If so then maybe you should read this thread [​IMG]
    So are all mbp owners with the 8600m GT cards screwed?!?

Seems like the overheating is causing some serious problems. Do you still have any AppleCare left?

*edit* NM you have the ATI X1600.

6. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

Yeah, Orange, I had thought of that and was depressed to find I had the ATI card.

Hey, does anyone know if the heat issues would improve or worsen if I ran my MBP in lid-closed mode? Seems like it would get hotter, but maybe the closed lid gives more area for the vents to expel air when the lid's closed.

Has anyone tested this? Since I'm using my MBP as a HTPC, it could run lid-closed. Just a thought...

7. kolax macrumors G3

Air is sucked in a bit through the keyboard and heat is dispatched through it as well. So having the lid closed will make it run much warmer.

If you are going to have the lid closed, stack it vertically so the exhaust is pointing in the air.