2006 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imrtstc, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imrtstc macrumors member

I have a 2006 model macbook pro that i sent in to get fixed from apple for 300 flat. the problem was that the mag safe port melted, not the cord. they called me back today and said they wanted 1000 because they found water damage. I just had a new screen put in and upgraded the hard drive. What should i do, get it fixed? i have been looking for a newer used one for around the same price. It is a 17". i will sell it for parts if it cant be fixed cheaper. anyone interested? anyone got a newer model for sale?

2. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Uhh... Was there water damage?

3. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

a small amount of water did spill on it but i thought i caught it all. it worked fine for about a month after that so i didnt think that would be a problem. the port iteslf melted where the plug goes in. they said for 300 flat we will fix whatever is wrong with it. so i sent it in. than they tell me the price because they found a problem...i was like "you told me you would do it for 300" like kicking a dead horse. i said i can get a new one for that price...maybe not a 17 in. but still..

4. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Might as well buy a new one... why spend thousands on a 5 year old laptop when you can spend it on a update version? it's a no brainer for me.. :eek:

5. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

6. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Can't you sell your old laptop for parts on eBay? I'm sure you'd get a few $ for it? But I can assure you, if you wait and save up.. it will be worth it. Kill my queen and drink my tea if I'm wrong.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

Tell Apple to shove it.

Then take your wallet out and buy a new one.

Or just get a PC.

Or just.... nevermind.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Bzzzzt. Obviously not.

You're hosed. You spilled water on it and they found evidence of it after a high-current short. The $300 repair offer (which I've enjoyed myself-- it's a hell of a deal) is now off the table... and let's face it, that's understandable. I'm sure it stings, but I can see Apple's side in this.

5 years from a laptop is superb service, so treat yourself to a new one. Even an entry-level unit costing about as much as the newly-quoted repair will run rings around your old one. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on, is my advice.

And next time, keep the beverages well away.

Good luck!

9. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Sell what you have. Save some, and then purchase. Whether you purchase another Mac...that is up to you. Your situation is unfortunate.

10. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

If you got 5 years out of a water damaged MBP, that computer doesn't owe you anything. I say sell it for parts and treat yourself to an upgrade when you can.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.