2006 macbook running hot / linux question

drhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
(MA701LL/A)
Upgraded RAM to 2GB
Running on Ubuntu 10.04

Lately Ive noticed that it heats up very easily just from routine use. Playing videos causes it to heat up to where it almost hurts to touch. Ive had issues before just months after I got it where I suspect heat damage caused it to no longer boot. I assume dust may be a factor, and possibly old thermal paste on the CPU. Being this old, it probably could use a good cleaning.

Could that be all that I need to do or is there something else I can do to keep it cool?

Also, if there is anyone who is good with linux/bsd that knows what works best with macbook, that would be awesome. I dont have the original reinstall disks so thats not an option. I wasnt fond of it anyway.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
I upgraded my Macbook's ram from 1 to 2.5 GB, and added a 750gb HDD. These upgrades cause my Macbook to run a lot hotter.. I suspect its the same for you. There are attachments you can get for the bottom of your Macbook to add an extra fan, and cool it down.. I doubt it has to do with thermal paste.

I just looked on Google and there are cooling pads, cooling bars, all sorts of things you can use to cool down your laptop. A couple years ago I'd keep my Macbook on 24/7, but would have it rised with an object so it could circulate the bottom of it, and essentially cool down.

Oh yeah, and check out this forum for any questions you have Linux-related. Should be of much help to you :)

Last edited:
Comment

spyguy10709

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
(MA701LL/A)
Upgraded RAM to 2GB
Running on Ubuntu 10.04

Lately Ive noticed that it heats up very easily just from routine use. Playing videos causes it to heat up to where it almost hurts to touch. Ive had issues before just months after I got it where I suspect heat damage caused it to no longer boot. I assume dust may be a factor, and possibly old thermal paste on the CPU. Being this old, it probably could use a good cleaning.

Could that be all that I need to do or is there something else I can do to keep it cool?

Also, if there is anyone who is good with linux/bsd that knows what works best with macbook, that would be awesome. I dont have the original reinstall disks so thats not an option. I wasnt fond of it anyway.
Hey there- so first - yes it really, really does need a cleaning.

That's what's causing most of your problems, I'd bet.

Ubuntu or an Ubuntu variation will run very well, but I would recommend against it.

I would see if any of your friends have a 10.6 SNOW leopard install disk, or maybe buy one online (or you know ... ... ...)
Snow Leo is far better than Tiger the original OS on those machines. (Or 10.5 leopard, that was horrible *shudders*)

Comment

drhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Hey there- so first - yes it really, really does need a cleaning.

That's what's causing most of your problems, I'd bet.
It actually was a lot cleaner than I thought. Hardly any dust, which is more than I can say for my old iPhone I just found. I did put new compound on there and it seems to be helping at least.

Ubuntu or an Ubuntu variation will run very well, but I would recommend against it.

I would see if any of your friends have a 10.6 SNOW leopard install disk, or maybe buy one online (or you know ... ... ...)
Snow Leo is far better than Tiger the original OS on those machines. (Or 10.5 leopard, that was horrible *shudders*)
Why do you recommend against it?

We can take this to PM if you want. I didnt see the Linux forum.

Last edited:
Comment

spyguy10709

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
It actually was a lot cleaner than I thought. Hardly any dust, which is more than I can say for my old iPhone I just found. I did put new compound on there and it seems to be helping at least.

Why do you recommend against it?

We can take this to PM if you want. I didnt see the Linux forum.
I can't PM you for some reason - you might not have enough posts.
what I was going to PM you-
Okay so I don't recommend using linux/unix on Macs because, while hardware is supported, it is fairly slow.

Also most software isn't Linux compatible, but I'm sure you know that.

FACT- OS X is available on pirate websites.
FACT- We're not allowed to talk about piracy.

OPINION- I do not like piracy. You should not either.
TAKEAWAY- You be the judge is all I can say.

Comment

drhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
I can't PM you for some reason - you might not have enough posts.
what I was going to PM you-
Okay so I don't recommend using linux/unix on Macs because, while hardware is supported, it is fairly slow.

Also most software isn't Linux compatible, but I'm sure you know that.

FACT- OS X is available on pirate websites.
FACT- We're not allowed to talk about piracy.

OPINION- I do not like piracy. You should not either.
TAKEAWAY- You be the judge is all I can say.
You do know OS X is Unix based, right?

Most commercial software isnt for linux. Mac is probably the worst in this respect since most are marketed to Windows, especially if you're a gamer. Software for linux is primarily obtained through repositories that contain many more programs than those made for macs, and they are all free.. Wine also allows Windows programs to run without having to duel boot both OSs.

I do get the hints, btw. I could tell it wasnt supposed to be talked about here. I was just trying to see who else uses linux on a macbook and didnt see the other forum for it. I have tried that when I needed the isight driver.

OSX may run faster on my macbook, but there isnt a thing I ever liked about it. To each his own, though. I at least gave it the chance. Linux works better for what I need it for.

Comment

spyguy10709

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
You do know OS X is Unix based, right?

Most commercial software isnt for linux. Mac is probably the worst in this respect since most are marketed to Windows, especially if you're a gamer. Software for linux is primarily obtained through repositories that contain many more programs than those made for macs, and they are all free.. Wine also allows Windows programs to run without having to duel boot both OSs.

I do get the hints, btw. I could tell it wasnt supposed to be talked about here. I was just trying to see who else uses linux on a macbook and didnt see the other forum for it. I have tried that when I needed the isight driver.

OSX may run faster on my macbook, but there isnt a thing I ever liked about it. To each his own, though. I at least gave it the chance. Linux works better for what I need it for.
OSX Unix Based?!??! NO ITS NOT. Lol jk - dude I was at WWDC 2001-10... So yep I know that.....
Mac has millions more applications than Linux, don't even try that. And it's DUAL boot, not DUEL. (Sorry that word is a pet peeve of mine) You probably didn't like the older versions of OS X - you should really try 10.6 Snow Leopard (the best version of OS X imho). It's extremely similar to Linux in the way it operates - seriously you should try it out.

Comment

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
OSX Unix Based?!??! NO ITS NOT. Lol jk - dude I was at WWDC 2001-10... So yep I know that.....

Every time I open the terminal window I must be using 'Not Unix'.

Incidentally I got a laugh one time a few years ago when Darwin tried to execute some Linux code because I had neglected to type 'exit' before closing the Linux terminal window to boot OSX. There were error messages scrolling on top of the blue Mac start up screen. It was a PPC install.

Last edited:
Comment

spyguy10709

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Every time I open the terminal window I must be using 'Not Unix'.

Incidentally I got a laugh one time a few years ago when Darwin tried to execute some Linux code because I had neglected to type 'exit' before closing the Linux terminal window to boot OSX. There were error messages scrolling on top of the blue Mac start up screen. It was a PPC install.
I said LOL JK... As in laughing out loud, just kidding...
that's interesting.. never heard that one before.

Comment