2006 Macbook, VLC and 1080p Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HaiRy, Jan 30, 2011.

1. HaiRy macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd post on here since I've had no luck on the VLC forums as I'll explain.

I've got a 2006 MacBook, 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM and a 5400rpm 320 GB drive. Still chugging along nicely but not as it used to!

My problem stems from VLC or rather, VLC when using 10.6. When I first upgraded, I had to stop using VLC and use Quicktime, which even with Perian isn't nearly as good. Essentially, whenever I moved the video onto the 1920x1080 screen in full screen it starts stuttering to the point where it's unwatchable. This occurs with standard xvids and also x264 encoded 576p, 720p.

On 10.5 it's perfectly fine but on 10.6 it just drops loads of frames. When I asked on the VLC forums I just got told the Intel GMA950 just couldn't hack it but yet it hacks it perfectly fine on 10.5. It's just annoying now that there's proper divergence between the two OS's with the App Store and certain apps going 10.6 only, as has iLife.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Wow, tough to say, but here's a thought... OS 10.5 requires 512MB and 10.6 requires 1GB. You'd think you would be covered with 2GB, but that 1GB is a minimum. Maybe you're running into a limitation of memory capacity on your Macbook.

But I wouldn't be satisfied with that answer at all. If it were my machine, I'd backup the drive and do a clean install of 10.6, just to see if an untouched system yielded the same results.

3. HaiRy thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the response.

It's quite annoying that there's a 2 Gig limit on the RAM. I've already upgraded from the stock 1 Gig (That'd I'd chosen as a BTO option instead of 512 MB) but I'd be fine with buying another set if I could.

About the hard drive, I upgraded the stock drive to a 320 GB so I did try reformatting the original 80 GB drive from fresh with 10.6 but when I tried it made no difference :(