2006 MacBook with no DVD. Where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by specialbuddy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. specialbuddy macrumors member

A co-worker of mine has a MacBook from college that he never got fixed. The hard drive is dead and he thinks the disc drive doesn't work. Where should I start if I want to try fixing his computer. I don't know much about Macs. Should I get a 10.4 DVD from the internet and see if that works? Can I install OS X from a USB if the drive is broken?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can get Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for 29 USD and use that. The HDD is easily replaced with a new 2.5" S-ATA HDD (maximum height of 9.5mm, thus 750GB is currently the biggest one you can use), the DVD drive can be replaced too, but you might consider getting an external DVD drive via USB/Firewire for less than 50 USD.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook for many guides on how to do stuff yourself.

Regarding the USB stick installation: MRoogle

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'd say that it probably isn't worth salvaging.

4. specialbuddy thread starter macrumors member

Can I install Ubuntu on it without OS X. I really don't need or want OSX.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you can install Ubuntu, but you might need OS X to run BootCamp and emulate the BIOS.

6. cubeeggs macrumors member

I think even the very first white MacBooks came with the Boot Camp firmware preinstalled, so you should be able to just boot off of the Ubuntu disc, although in my experience the Ubuntu MacBook drivers have not worked well.