2006 MacBook Won't Start - Ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by imgonephishin, Aug 28, 2010.

1. imgonephishin macrumors regular

Hi all. I have a 2006 Core Duo MacBook. I shut it down the other day and nothing unusual happened. But, now when I push the power button there's no response at all. Nothing. No lights, no response, no chimes, no screen flicker.

Yes, I've read all posts I can find on this and nothing has helped. I've followed the SMC reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964) and can't zap PRAM since it doesn't even chime. Battery shows a full five lights and the MagSafe cord shows a green LED. I've tried all sorts of booting with just battery, just power, leaving both out overnight but can't get any sort of response. I don't hear any fan motion or HDD whirring up. The power button doesn't seem to be stuck though--it's flush with the case and still gives that slight tactile "click" when depressed. I checked that the RAM's set properly.

If it were a HDD problem it would at least like up and blink the folder icon and AFAIK.

I'm guessing the only advice will be to take it into an Apple Store but I thought I'd just check if there are any other ideas. I live 3 hours from the closest store so I can't take it in and the computer's obviously out of AppleCare warranty.

It's been powering my media center but it's not my main computer so I wouldn't be adverse to some experimenting and cracking it open. In the past I had to replace an AirPort antenna and HDD so I'm comfortable messing around inside if anyone has suggestions of where to look.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The reply button's gone missing! So, I quoted this... You probably have a bad motherboard. But, you should also try looking at the topcase's connection to the motherboard/logic board.