2006 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Insilin1i, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Insilin1i macrumors regular

Someone gave me their old 2006 macbook because they didn't know how to fix it. I believe it is just the screen cause the volume increase/decrease still beeps so I am guessing it is still working. If it's just the screen how much are the screens for these older macbooks.

[​IMG]

2. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

That seems like it's a gpu problem rather than the screen itself. Which would require a new logic board. Can anyone confirm this?

3. Insilin1i thread starter macrumors regular

I think you may be right because when it starts the screen is white as usual.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

when you plug it into an external display, what happens?

5. prodigee macrumors 6502a

The GPU has failed, that means you need a new logic board, look on eBay for one, because Apple is gunna charge you an arm and a leg to fix it. If you were ready to replace the screen on there, you should be able to replace the logic board by yourself.

6. Insilin1i thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't gonna replace the screen, I was hoping it was just the screen cause it would be a cheaper fix than the logic board and video card. Looks like I am most likely gonna throw it out. Logic board is way to expensive to even bother with this. Thanks though for all your help.

Actually I think I am going to open it up and see what's inside :D, I have never seen the inside of a laptop especially a macbook.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sell it for parts on eBay. You could fetch over $100 for it.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

try seeing if it will display to an external monitor................................

9. Insilin1i thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have the wires needed to do it :/. The battery also doesn't work since I tried running it after charging for a bit.

10. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Hey if your gonna throw it out send it my way . I would be more than happy to shoot ya some cash for it. I would love to tear one down and try to fix it. An acquaintance of mine is a repair tech and can get me parts cheap. Shoot me a PM if you'll take me up on the offer

11. Insilin1i thread starter macrumors regular

I opened it, nothing really that interesting I couldn't tell what was what very different than a normal desktop I am use to.

Umm I don't really do online stuff if you were like close and I could hand it to you I would probably just give it to you but most likely your not.