2006 MB w/10.4 Tiger upgrade question:

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 3wood, Mar 14, 2018.

1. 3wood macrumors member

3wood

I'm getting a 2006 MacBook 1,1 ready to pass on to another owner. I formatted the drive and did the install of Tiger using the 2 disks that came with the computer when I bought it new.

I would like to update it to Snow Leopard (I have the SL disk).

Is there a way to get past the registration screen (pic) that comes up when I boot the new Tiger install so I can install Snow Leopard without actually registering? I'd like to leave the registration blank for the new owner of course.

Thank you for help.

Reed
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:26AM EDT

2. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

Put the Snow Leopard disk in your Macbook and then reboot it and hold down the "C" key and it should boot from the Snow Leopard disk and then prompt you to install it.

3. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

Thanks, did that but still couldn't figure a way to install an additional program for the new owner while leaving the registration screen blank for the new owner. I'll just update Snow L to 10.6.8 and leave it at that.
    Again, thanks.

4. wicknix macrumors 6502

wicknix

1. At the command-line prompt, type mount -uw /
    2. rm -R /Library/Preferences
    3. rm -R /Users/YOURUSERNAME/ <-- replace YOURUSERNAME with whatever your user name is
    4. cd /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default
    5. ls (to list the files)
    6. Delete the file that is named after your user account with a .plist extension. For example, for user name "macuser" you'd type rm macuser.plist
    7. rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    8. reboot
    At this point, OS X restarts and the Setup Assistant launches automatically, initially asking you what language you want to set up the Mac in. Since you don't want to run Setup Assistant again, so just press Command-Q at the language screen, then click the Shut Down button.

(this will work once you have installed snow leopard. it wont work in tiger)

Cheers

5. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

Are those commands for use in Terminal? If I have to ask, that tells you how adept I am (not) at using Terminal. Since beginning using Apple computers back with the IIe you'd think I'd know my way around Terminal, but I don't. Would be glad for a url that would be known as the "best Terminal tutorial ever" if you know of one. Always willing to learn. Thanks,
    Reed
    Sunday, March 18, 2018 09:00AM EDT

6. wicknix macrumors 6502

wicknix

7. 3wood thread starter macrumors member

3wood

Sorry I never updated what I've done...... I just haven't put in the time to do the steps you suggested. Might get it done yet though or will hand off the 2006 MacBook with new install of Snow Leopard instead of trying to put some additional software on it for the next owner. I did put a 120gb ssd in it though as Best Buy had the PNY 120 on sale yesterday for $44. Hard to pass on that price. Certainly spiffed her up some! Thanks again.