2006 MBP Battery Replacement Still Viable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emtrey, Aug 16, 2011.

1. emtrey macrumors member

I just upgraded to a new 2011 MacBook Pro (8,2) from an old 2006 model (1,1), but am trying to keep the '06 ready as a viable back-up (as much as it can be with broken wi-fi).

The biggest issue I'm facing with the '06 model, though, is battery life because-- I admit it-- I totally dropped the ball on keeping it calibrated. According to coconutBattery, current capacity is 98 mAh down from an original capacity of 5500 mAh. Plugging it in yields a nearly perpetual red "charging" light and the menu bar charge display stays at 0% (Coconut says 1%).

I can resign myself to that model being perpetually tethered to an A/C outlet, but if something can be done, I'd like to correct my earlier mistakes.

Which brings me to two questions.

1) Browsing Apple's Store, I see a replacement battery at http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY Is this compatible with the early (1,1) Core Duo models of the MBP?

2) Would a new battery even help? I remember back in the day reading about how the connectors themselves could get damaged by not calibrating regularly-- is the '06 beyond repair?

Thanks for the help!

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

That doesn't make any sense. How can not using (calibrating) or not using (not calibrating) a battery cause physical damage to a connector? Either the connector works or it doesn't. I'm guessing the only way to find out is to buy a new battery, and the problem is very likely with the battery itself.

I don't know if that's the right battery for your MBP. If it's not, try ebay and third-party battery companies. The quality will be lower than an Apple battery (lower capacity, might not work at all if it's a shoddy company), but if it does work it sounds like it will be good enough.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

That is the correct battery and will work with your MBP.

Your battery is simply dead, and will no longer hold a charge.