2006 MBP for $700

werehensler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
I have an opportunity to buy a used 15" Macbook Pro for $700. I believe it is a 2006 (non-unibody) model with 2gb of Ram and a 100 GB HD. Is this a fair price? Will the older hardware present any issue with current software or Snow Leopard.

This will be my first Mac purchase, although I do own a iPhone and iPad. This computer will be used mostly for School.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I have an early MBP and it runs Snow Leopard just fine. The issue I see is that some software vendor will come out with a 64-bit only title that I won't be able to run. I expect most software vendors won't make that jump quickly.

I use lowendmac to review specs of past machines. Here is the early MBP release.

I don't know the current pricing. I use sources such as craigslist and eBay to review recent asking prices for used items.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I'd say it's too much.. way too much. I had a 2006 MacBook Pro until last January (logic board failure). You'd be better off even with 'just' a current MacBook.

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
As someone who has owned this exact machine for 4 years, I can say that the most you should pay for it is $400, and that's if EVERYTHING is perfect.
ie:
Perfect condition(no dents, scratches, aluminum pitting, etc)
AC Adapter included
Original software included
Flawless display
Working optical drive
Every port and key working

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
As someone who has owned this exact machine for 4 years, I can say that the most you should pay for it is $400, and that's if EVERYTHING is perfect.
ie:
Perfect condition
AC Adapter included
Original software included
Flawless display
Working optical drive
Every port and key working
I agree. Also, just on a side note, some batches of the 2006 MacBook Pros had some major issues (mine did).

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
I agree. Also, just on a side note, some batches of the 2006 MacBook Pros had some major issues (mine did).
Mine actually just starting having issues with the wireless not too long ago. Would constantly disconnect from my wireless signal no matter how far I was away from it. It was either a problem with the antenna or logic board so I was forced to either buy a USB wireless adapter or throw 300 bucks to Apple to see what the problem is and fix it. I went with the former.

Arrandale

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
I have an opportunity to buy a used 15" Macbook Pro for $700. I believe it is a 2006 (non-unibody) model with 2gb of Ram and a 100 GB HD. Is this a fair price? Will the older hardware present any issue with current software or Snow Leopard.

This will be my first Mac purchase, although I do own a iPhone and iPad. This computer will be used mostly for School.
This is an ok, but not a great price.

For a few hundred dollars more, you can buy officially refurbished macs from Apple.