2006 MBP for $700

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by werehensler, Apr 6, 2010.

1. werehensler macrumors newbie

I have an opportunity to buy a used 15" Macbook Pro for $700. I believe it is a 2006 (non-unibody) model with 2gb of Ram and a 100 GB HD. Is this a fair price? Will the older hardware present any issue with current software or Snow Leopard.

This will be my first Mac purchase, although I do own a iPhone and iPad. This computer will be used mostly for School.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I have an early MBP and it runs Snow Leopard just fine. The issue I see is that some software vendor will come out with a 64-bit only title that I won't be able to run. I expect most software vendors won't make that jump quickly.

I use lowendmac to review specs of past machines. Here is the early MBP release.

I don't know the current pricing. I use sources such as craigslist and eBay to review recent asking prices for used items.

3. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I'd say it's too much.. way too much. I had a 2006 MacBook Pro until last January (logic board failure). You'd be better off even with 'just' a current MacBook.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Hmm. Core Duo. X1600 graphics. 2GB RAM limit. Wireless g. I would say pass. As noted, a new MacBook which can be had for $700 on refurb is better value and comes with a 1 year warranty. If its a Core 2 Duo than perhaps but even then.

5. greg400 macrumors 6502

As someone who has owned this exact machine for 4 years, I can say that the most you should pay for it is $400, and that's if EVERYTHING is perfect.
    ie:
    Perfect condition(no dents, scratches, aluminum pitting, etc)
    AC Adapter included
    Original software included
    Flawless display
    Working optical drive
    Every port and key working

6. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I agree. Also, just on a side note, some batches of the 2006 MacBook Pros had some major issues (mine did).

7. greg400 macrumors 6502

Mine actually just starting having issues with the wireless not too long ago. Would constantly disconnect from my wireless signal no matter how far I was away from it. It was either a problem with the antenna or logic board so I was forced to either buy a USB wireless adapter or throw 300 bucks to Apple to see what the problem is and fix it. I went with the former.

8. Arrandale macrumors regular

This is an ok, but not a great price.

For a few hundred dollars more, you can buy officially refurbished macs from Apple.