2006 MBP: LCD Backlight Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbwizard, May 15, 2011.

1. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Recently I've been beginning to have trouble with the LCD backlight on my 2006 MBP. For no apparent reason it will turn off while the computer is running and I can do nothing to increase the brightness. It is as if the backlight setting is all of the way down (I can barely see the images on the screen if I have a lamp behind the screen)

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? A PMU reset hasn't really been able to change anything. After sitting, off, for a week or two I can get about 30 minutes of backlight out of it, then it fails again.

Also, I assume the backlight is the fluorescent type. Is this built into the LCD housing? Would the repair for this be to replace the entire LCD? It's a shame as this LCD is barely 1.5 years old.

Thanks for your help!

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

LCD and the backlight are one. Looking at prices for that laptop as well as the screen itself, I'm not so sure it's worth it, especially if you're talking about the original Core Duo version.

Performance-wise, even the Intel HD 3000 in the new 13" MacBook Pro is more powerful than the X1600 in your laptop, and it doesn't have hardware acceleration for all the new stuff like Flash and Quicktime X. Perhaps it's time for an upgrade?

3. macbwizard thread starter macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Definitely planning on upgrading to the newest MBP in about a month when I'm back ithe states. In the meantime I was hoping there was some hope to salvage the screen. In all likelihood it will probably become a headless server or media center box once I upgrade.

You're right, no chance I would buy a new LCD for a replacement. I just didn't realize that these fluorescent backlights failed so quickly. It seems to be related to heat/bad connection more than anything else, but I can't be sure.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Well, I doubt it was new 1.5 years ago if the laptop really is from 2006. The horrible thing about CCFL screens is that the brightness over time gets dimmer as it's used more.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It could be the inverter or the LCD.

Inverter ranges from $15-$30.

LCD ranges from $100-$150.

I think it's worth salvaging.

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

My 2006 did this too, I think it's software. Do both the SMC and PRAM reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Basically just turn it off, unplug it and take out the battery. Then hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds.... plug everything back in and turn it on.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Basically just turn the machine on while holding down these keys: command, option, P, R. After it does the startup chime 2 times release the keys.

7. macbwizard thread starter macrumors 6502

macbwizard

8. macbwizard thread starter macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I've tried this when it happened in the past and it helped but recently these haven't solved the problem. I'm hoping that all I have to do is replace the display inverter.

9. macbwizard thread starter macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I just wanted to update this thread so anyone who comes across it sees that replacing the inverter board did indeed solve the issue. Thanks for your help!

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

great u got it fixed but, for 2006 , time to get a new and faster machine :D