2006 MBP17 Applecare expiring. What should I check?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eVolcre, Feb 5, 2009.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I have a first gen 17 inch MBP. My AppleCare expires in may and I wanted to take the chance of checking it completely and fixing any issues. Any tips on things I need to check?

As of right now only half of my keyboard lights up, the battery doesn't hold much charge and the screen has scratches and is unevenly lit. Are these things they will fix? What's their policy on screens?

To be honest, I would LOVE to find more problems in the remote hope thattheywould need to replace it and I get a newer machine so ... Please help me find known issues I can bring up.

EV

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

I would check into services like www.squaretrade.com to extend the warranty for it beyond AppleCare if it is possible. :D

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I did some searching on the screen and the brown splotches I have sound luke the "dust under screen " problem. How do I verify this as opposed to the screen being scratched ? Does AppleCare cover it?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As long as it is dust under the screen then yes AppleCare does cover it.

5. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

silly question but what does dust under the screen look like? I have these vertical brownish smudges that don't come off. Was under the impression that the screen was scratched due to usage

Hypothetically speaking, if the screen and keyboardbacklighting need fixing and this is a 3 year old model, is there a chance of a replacement? I don't think they'd keep parts for the first hen mbp lying around? Too much to hope for?

eV