2006 MP 7300GT vs 2008 MBP 8600M GT

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cuestakid, May 24, 2008.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

this may be a strange question but can anyone tell me where i can find some decent comparisons between the original MP graphics card vs the one that is in the recent MBPs? I ask because I currently have the 2006 MP and I am seriously looking into somehow maybe switching to the MBP and I want to really see some kind of comparisons of the graphical power in gaming. I looked around barefeats and while there are comparisons of both machines, neither one evolves the same game with the same resolution.

any help or advice is appreciated

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't really help you, but surely you'd get a pretty good idea of whether they're at least comparable in terms of performance.

3. fatcat23 macrumors member

what you should do is look at the reviews that barefeats has of the new macbook pros and then try the same game on your 06 macbook pro. You can try it with the same settings and resolution as what barefeats used. Most games should have a way to measure the fps while playing, or some other tool could be used. You could also check to see what barefeats used to measure the fps.

Basically, do your own review of the 06 mbp while playing games from 08(or whatever games are on the 08 macbook pro barefeats review).

Also try this out. http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/ There is a database of other peoples computers to compare against. I guarantee you could find an 08 mbp on there.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The 8600m chip is a huge leap forwards even though the 7300 is a desktop card.

5. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

The 7300GT was never really that great of a card. It was the "upper low-end", back in it's day.

The 8600M in the MBPs were the highest 8xxx mobile cards available for a while. Granted, they're just mid-range cards now (and always have been), but you should see a substantial improvement over a 7300GT.

6. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for the replies-sounds like it would be a noticeable upgrade-I will take another look and CPU performance as well