2006 unsupported macbook pro to mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milesz, Apr 10, 2016.

1. milesz macrumors newbie

milesz

I have read a lot online and viewed a lot of videos on Youtube, but the more I read the more confused I get. Is there a simply (step by step) way to install Mavericks or Yosemite on my unsupported late 2006 Macbook Pro? Lastly, which is the more usable (i.e. the least problem). I know this has been covered many times on this site but I just don't get it.

Thanks in advance,

2. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

use MacPostFactor.
    Mavericks should be slightly more stable but Yosemite works perfectly fine. Both deprecate support for your graphics card though, so you'll have a somewhat laggy experience on both.

3. milesz thread starter macrumors newbie

milesz

Thanks for your reply. One question, is there a fix for the graphics card?

4. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

It's simply not supported by 10.9+. You can take steps to help alleviate the problem (kexts) though.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd strongly advise against doing it. It will slow such an old computer to a crawl.

6. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

using MCPF?
    I own a 2006 iMac with MCPF Yosemite.
    Compared to Lion, it runs the same except for graphical animations, such as opening Applicatons from dock, freezing for a few seconds.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Not the advice you asked for, but if you want to run a "late-model" OS, it's time for a new or at the very least, a "late-model-used" MacBook...