2006 white macbook core duo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by incarceration, Jan 25, 2015.

1. incarceration macrumors newbie

is there a way to get anything above 10.6.8 on this model? or should i just try and sell it? i cant install any current versions of most software im trying to use, not even my browser.

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Congrats on having a mac for that long. But i feel like you need an upgrade because to upgrade to a certain operating system you need to meet its requirements such as 1gb of ram and such.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MacBook doesn't support any OS X version beyond 10.6.8. If you want to install current software, you need a more current computer.

4. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

What Web Browser are you using? I currently have a Macbook 3,1 which can run lion, but im running Snow leopard as lion was brutal for graphic performance on this machine.

However im running the latest Firefox on this machine, office 2011, the latest version of skype, teamviewer and VLC. A few applications such as Mactracker and coconut battery i had to get older versions but other then that this machine is my main driver. With 4gb Ram maxed out and a nice little 240GB kingston SSD my machine flies.

Many do as well congratulate me for still hanging on to this machine but it does what i need it to. Im in school and office, webbrowser and windows 7 on bootcamp does the trick. Its running windows 7 home premium 32bit and quite snappy.

Snow Leopard is still great in my opinion you could try using MLpostfactor? Installing Mountain lion on this machine. I did it to mine but the wifi kext wouldnt work with enterprise WPA2 kexts so until i finish this School term im sticking with Snow leopard.

What i can tell you is that Mountain lion ran exceptionally well on my machine. THe graphics where better then lion, it was quite snappy even though installed on a 5400RPM 80gb drive. I wasnt expecting it to run so well. So look into MLpostFactor and bootcamping the machine to still get some life out of it.
    http://osxdaily.com/2013/04/20/mlpostfactor-installs-os-x-mountain-lion-old-unsupported-macs/

5. gooser macrumors 6502

my machine is newer than yours and even though i could upgrade if i wanted to i still prefer to run 10.6.8. no problems with firefox and chrome or any other application i care to use.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

10.6 was the final version to support 32 bit processors like the Core Duo. Most browsers still support 10.6 however.

7. incarceration thread starter macrumors newbie

What anout getting this macbook to boot to a USB flash drive with 32bit ubuntu?

i've formatted the drive as fat32 and used RUFUS to put the image on the flash drive and make it bootable but whenever i hold option/alt the only option that shows is the internal HDD