2006 White Macbook won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marcato15, Sep 6, 2011.

1. marcato15 macrumors newbie

My computer has been running fine, then today, the battery got low and turned off. I plugged it in and turned it on, but all I got was the initial internal sound of the system attempting to boot up (not the Apple Chime, but the actual internals ,I think the CD Drive or something), and a very quick flicker from the screen, but it wont boot up. I've tried resetting the PRAM, the SMC, swapped out RAM and Hard Drive with nothing different. I know its an old computer, but I just stuck an SSD in it and it was working amazing. Any suggestions? I know of no reason why it would be something like water damage since it hasn't gotten wet.

2. marcato15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm....

So I took the computer apart a bit and disconnected the hard drive battery and. Cd drive. Now booting it up means no sound, just a quick Flicker of light on the screen and then ther sleep light comes on and stays on and the fan runs until I shut it off. Any suggestions? (I know it needs a hard drive to run, but it should at least boot first, currently it won't do anything)

3. session101 macrumors regular

did you computer boot fine before you switched to SSD? or was it already corrupt? even if you boot holding Control down, does it help any?

4. marcato15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not an SSD issue, I don't believe

It was working fine before and after the SSD. Its been installed for several months now without working. I've tried every boot combination but I can get it to do anything. I'm 99% sure it's the logic board.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds as if the logic board is dead.......

Maybe the graphics chip

6. marcato15 thread starter macrumors newbie

How to tell the difference

Is there an easy way to tell the difference? How much would a graphics chi
    Run? Probably more than I want to put into a 5+ year old machine

7. session101 macrumors regular

graphics chip is built unto the logic board, you would have to replace the whole thing....not worth it