2007-08 Network TV Schedule

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, May 15, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

NBC reported their fall line up yesterday, http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/14/tv.newseason.ap/index.html

Today ABC released theirs. http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/15/tv.newseason.ap/index.html

ABC scheduled its "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff for Wednesdays and committed to a comedy derived from the Geico "Cavemen" commercials as part of an ambitious schedule with eight new series for the fall and 11 overall.

The third-place network lost an average of a million viewers in prime-time from last season, many attributable to the end of "Monday Night Football." With bankable hits "Grey's Anatomy," "Desperate Housewives" and "Dancing With the Stars" returning, ABC is giving viewers plenty of new choices in the fall.

That approach contrasts with fourth-place NBC, which is introducing half as many new series under the theory that it's tough to market so many new shows.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just heard that CBS renewed "How I met your mother", very happy about that, love that show.

Bionic Woman looks interesting (funny how many british actors are showing up on network shows), also Pushing Daisies also looks interesting.

3. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I'm waiting on the CW to make its announcement. It's not looking good for my favourite show (Veronica Mars - tied with Heroes which will thankfully return).

Looks like I will only be watching 5 shows (Heroes, House, Ugly Betty, Supernatural, and Stargate Atlantis) next fall, provided I don't develop new addictions over the summer (need to check out The Office and Friday Night Lights).

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Friday Night Lights is an amazing show, most realistic characters of any network show - well worth a watch

5. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

jericho should be renewed...i think it needs to stay at the timeslot it is now, since there isn't much the networks have on wed. 8 pm.

i was watching abc for the nine and daybreak (both were good for the first couple of shows then got terrible and then canned). i noticed that abc shows tend to have good pilots, then tail off. that's why i think these shows got canned.

don't watch too much prime time tv, i'll watch jericho and heroes and 24 (assuming they don't ruin that show in day seven).

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Announced today that Jericho has been cancelled

7. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yay for Supernatural. I'll be the first to admit it's not the best show...yet I love it.

8. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

I don't really watch much TV, but even when watching I actually try to avoid any new show.

Chance that new show will be canceled before the end of the first season is something like 80%. :D

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, it's a catch 22. Shows get cancelled because nobody watches, nobody watches because they don't want to get sucked into a show that maybe cancelled.

10. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yea I agree- I think stations should stick with shows a bit longer to give the audience time to trust that it won't get cancelled. I know I've definitely avoided shows because I think they'll be cancelled...and when they're not cancelled....well I've already stopped watching.

11. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Link? :(

12. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-renewalrumorshimymjericho,0,3725758.story?coll=zap-tv-headlines

Looks like it's true. Probably my favorite show of the year so i shouldn't be surprised. It's what bothers me most about networks now. They don't give shows a chance to gain traction. They cancel them just as they're getting interesting. Or change days and timeslots. I've already alomst given up on tv. This might be it. I'll wait till a show has three seasons on dvd(or itunes, if we ever get video downloads in canada).

13. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm guessing it was costing the network too much to continue the series. same thing happened to listen up a while back, funny show with kornhiser's life parodied.

and more bad, tbs is stripping off braves baseball at the end of the season (last braves on tbs game is 9/30/07) for some cheesy game of the week format starting next year. how stupid.

oh well, looks like it's just heroes and 24 (maybe) for me next year...i hope heroes stays on tv long.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What?? That's just stupid. Why didn't they change the time slot instead of sacrificing it up to American Idol?

As for the others: Bionic Woman? Dull, stupid show the first time around, and I have no reason to believe it'll be any different this time. And the Geico caveman series has already been universally derided as a "sure to fail" idea.

Since I'm already getting disillusioned with 24, looks like I'll be watching very little TV this fall.

Jericho cancelled. Jesus. Guess they hadda make room for CSI: Akron.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awwww... :( My friend finally re-appears in the season finale after having been absent for most of the season and now it's cancelled? I'm surprised, based on reports of how it did, that they didn't at least pawn it off to a cable station... well, erm, I guess I'm not sure if they own an appropriate station. But it seems like it could find a home on a station like FX, USA, or Sci-Fi pretty easily. Hopefully it will.

EDIT: NPR was talking about this Monday night and discussing how it was a sign of the direction of things that the cavemen show was probably going to be green-lighted. And apparently it was! Well, interesting. I have a hard time imagining it being funny for more than a couple of episodes, but I'd give it a try, particularly if they gave a shot to some of the excellent actors in the commercials.

16. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I just find it so highly entertaining! Which is plenty in a show, it is ENTERTAINMENT after all. Oh, and it's such a pretty, pretty show.

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

CBS Picks Up 3 Dramas, 1 Comedy For 2007-08; Drops 'Jericho', 'The Class'

CBS announced today its 2007-2008 fall primetime lineup, featuring five new series - one comedy, three dramas and one reality program. These freshman series will join 17 returning programs on the current CBS lineup.

The five new series feature bold and creative concepts, including "Viva Laughlin," where drama is accented by iconic music; "Cane," starring Jimmy Smits as the head of a powerful South Florida Cuban-American family; "Moonlight," a romantic thriller with a new twist on the vampire legend; "The Big Bang Theory," a comedy about genius geeks from "Two and A Half Men" co-creator Chuck Lorre; and "Kid Nation," a reality series where 40 kids will try to build a new society in an abandoned ghost town.

"We approached our development this year with a specific goal in mind - to be daring and different," said Nina Tassler, President, CBS Entertainment. "The Fall and mid-season series we have selected offer creativity and variety with great potential to excite and surprise television audiences everywhere."

These new shows will be woven into a deep and successful lineup that returns more series and has more time period-winning programs than any other network. CBS will return CSI: Crime Scene Investigation; "Two And A Half Men;" Rules Of Engagement; 60 Minutes; and Survivor.

Also returning are: How I Met Your Mother, CSI: Miami, NCIS, The Unit, Criminal Minds, CSI: NY, Without A Trace, Ghost Whisperer, Numb3Rs, Cold Case and Shark, as well as 48 Hours: Mystery and Crimetime Saturday.
    http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/05/16/cbs_picks_up_3_dramas_1_comedy_for_2007_

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Curious. If NBC is the fourth place network and ABC is third, what are #1 and #2? I'm assuming CBS is one of those. Is the other really FOX? Thanks to that silly American Idol?

19. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i give up on network tv for the most part. all of the good shows i like never last, and everything else sucks. guess it's heroes and 24 only, i don't care what new show is coming up next season. i think one of those shows will be forced to a new timeslot before too long unless they want to be cancelled.

right now, i'm trying to figure out how to get my braves for 2008...

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

CBS is 1 Fox 2 ABC 3 NBC 4 CW 5.

Its not just Idol, don't forget House is a big show. 24 while not what it was still pulls enough to help.

You also have to account for football on CBS and FOX.

21. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

If you buy me a DVD-R for my TV I can help you out there. :D

22. achie25 macrumors 6502

Classic :D

A show about the Geico cavemen? Seriously? I just don't get it. I think the commercials are completely retarded. Maybe it is just me. :confused:

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From the iMDB comments for the 1969 television series The New People...

So much for being daring and different.

24. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

umm, okay, wasn't this the premise (one of them) of jericho?! i can't believe it got canned for this. i give up.

and i don't think it was canned for bad ratings (i think it got decent ratings), but it was probably costing too much to continue the series (production $$$).

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Shows you how low network TV will go. Idiots should have built a new show around the gekko.