2007 15" Macbook Pro getting really hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Californian, Jun 16, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I have a 15" Macbook Pro that has recently started getting really hot. I'm used to laptops getting hot but this one gets so hot that I literally can't hold it. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any solutions? Thanks - Eric

2. HarvJH macrumors newbie

how hot are you talking?

mine gets very hot sometimes, so i put the fans up to 6000rpm on smcfancontrol and it soon cools down.

3. eron macrumors 6502

I use both smcfancontrol and Fan Control on my 15".

Keeps the temp low.

The SMCfancontrol is more for monitoring the temp really. The fan control app that I access thru system pref adjusts the fan speed accordingly.

4. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'm talking hot. I've had it since it was brand new and it has gotten significantly hotter in the past few months. I've had it on my desk before, then I'll pick it up and set it on my lap and it's been so hot that it literally leaves red marks on my legs through a pair of jeans after about 30 seconds. Not like a serious burn, but if it was skin to skin it could easily burn.

5. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I've never tried tweaking the fan controls though, maybe I'll try that... I just wonder why it would randomly start getting so hot all of a sudden.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hot is a somewhat subjective, to better aid the conversation, what's your temps? For instance, my unibody MBP (before getting the Enermax Aeolus Aluminum Notebook Cooling Pad) my temps on the discreet GPU were running in the 60s to 70s easy, and could spike into the 80s before the fans cranked up. On the 9400, the temps were in the 50s for the most part. Now that I got the Aeolus cooling pad, I'm running about 15c cooler. This however is designed for desk use not lap use.

When on my lap, I use a lap desk to protect my legs, as MBPs as long as I could remember (back into the iBook/Powerbook days) ran to hot to be on my lap w/o any protection.

7. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

How would I go about checking those temps? That way I could be less subjective, haha.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're using smcFanControl, it will tell you, otherwise d/l the iStatPro widget. It has tons of useful information, including the temps.

9. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Awesome, thank you.

10. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Getting a mac book pro later this week. Good thread!

11. PacMookBro macrumors regular

Oh yes unibody is "in" but the classic MacBook Pro is still "hot" right now! :)