2007 2.16 white macbook cracks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Austin00, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Austin00 macrumors member

Hello MR,

Just popping by to ask about the cracking problem on the earlier white macbooks.

I rang apple today to ask about whether some cracks in my macbook can be repaired out of warranty and was told a contradicting story that has been documented in the articles concerning the problem, and (most importantly) that i would have to arrange an appointment at my closest apple store (40-50miles away) which is a bit of a tall order as im a money-tight student.

If anyone who knows a little bit about what kinds of cracks constitute as being valid for repair could have a lookee lou at some pictures i just snapped and gave me a bit of feedback, I'd be very grateful

P.S. I do not have applecare

Many Thanks,
    Austin

Crack coming from ESC key (this is the one i am worried about getting worse)
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2638/4347536768_83999c9100_b.jpg

Horizontal crack across top of screen
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4346765131_eb8fae5efc_b.jpg

Arched cracks along underside of rear vent
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4347498890_e9d220f69c_b.jpg

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I had my 2 year old Macbook case replaced last year for free (just the bottom half). They also replaced the Logic Board for some strange reason, also for free. And I didn't have applecare they said cracks in the plastic are a known issue and there was no charge.

Not sure you'll have the same luck but it's worth a shot.

3. Austin00 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, thats good to hear. Were the cracks you had significantly more severe than the ones in the links i posted? I'm not keen on being lumped with a hefty train fare to find out I'm not eligible for a repair...

4. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Can you not ring Apple and email who ever you talk to them pictures? I'm sure they could tell you if they will repair it.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I just had my white Rev.A MacBook's top case (palm rest & keyboard) replaced by Apple out of warranty. Mine had the chipped edges issue, where the lip from the lid comes down and splits the top case along the edge.

AppleCare gave me the green light, but when I got to the Apple Store, they gave me grief, saying it had to be "within 3 years", but they ended up doing the repair anyway.

I also have these small "crazing" cracks around the heat vent, and even inside the coin slot to unlock the battery, but I wasn't going to push my luck. As so many others have said before me... YMMV.

Basically... is it worth the chance to you that they might not fix it? Not to downplay your issue (because Apple should be ashamed of themselves selling these junky cases!) but these seem to be fairly minor cosmetically speaking.

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Mine were less severe. Mostly hairline cracks running along the front bottom casing, as if the screws were too tight. Also small hairline cracks on the back of the case. It was actually like that when I bought it but it got worse and worse over time.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

8. Austin00 thread starter macrumors member

I did use mroogle before i posted this topic, but didn't find anything recent and couldn't find anything about some sort of end-date. (if one exists)

Either way, this thread was a request for peoples opinions on the cracks that I have. I can't search for that on mroogle.

I think i'l do that today and post results.

Thats what i was wondering, as they are quite minor cracks in comparison to a lot of the cases on here.

Has anyone else had this cracking problem and had it repaired with more minor cracks than the ones i posted in the first post?

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

They replaced my display bezel for a crack that looked pretty much like the one in your second picture, although in addition to that I had the corresponding crack on the palm rest, so I don't know whether that makes a difference. The top case got replaced, too. (All out of warranty)

I probably wouldn't worry about the crack on the underside of the laptop, which I don't think they will do anything about.