2007 - 24" Imac 2.16 - Very slllooooooww.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nedmark, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Nedmark macrumors newbie

I've wanted to give an Apple Imac a shot. I've been a PC user for years and I've been told that Apple/Imacs have come a long way. A friend suggested to buy a used Imac just to get a feel for it. If I didn't like it I wouldn't have such buyers remorse from spending a premium on a new model.

I bought a used 2007 - 24" Imac 2.16 with 1 GB ram. The system had a fresh install of the OS prior to buying it. (It's not the current OS - it's the one that came with the system)

Here is my problem - I'm currently downloading the world of warcraft client for Mac. While this is downloading and installing at the same time - I can't do ANYTHING else. Nothing. If you click on something - it takes about 3 mins for it to show up on the screen. I can't surf the net, look at photos, or run anything else.

Prior to downloading the WOW client - when I set up the system I checked for new software updates. Of course there were a few things that had to be updated. Again - When anything is being downloaded the system comes to a screeching hault. You can't run anything else while something is being transferred. This doens't seem normal. The system should be able to download, install and run other things. I've never had this problem with a PC.

I just got back from Best Buy and purchased the 4 GIG ram upgrade.

Any thoughts?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Boot to the computer's restore disks and format the hard drive. If you haven't already done this, you should always do so before using a newly-purchased used computer. There's no telling what the previous owner might have left behind, and of course if they've screwed something up you'll inherit that too.