2007 Battery Recall Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heloise, Jul 7, 2012.

1. heloise macrumors member

My boyfriend has a mid 2007 macbook pro 15" with a removable battery. In 2009 or 2010 his battery physically expanded and stopped working. He didn't realize that this might be covered by apple after warranty so he didn't do anything about it and has just been using the computer plugged in. Is it possible that if we take it to the apple store now they will replace the battery? What are the chances of this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't hurt to ask, and you may find a sympathetic rep to help you. I'm not sure, but I think the official deadline for the recall was 4 years, but ask anyway.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

I think I remember that these types of replacement programs do have an expiration date so time may be against you. GGJstudios gives very good advice. Apple usually has articles about theses types of replacements on their support pages.

4. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

I may be wrong but it makes sense that recall programs don't have deadlines as they deal with safety. An exploding battery may hurt someone in 2007 as well as in 2012.
    It would be a legitimate question to ask. You may have to insist if the rep just brushes off your question without checking first.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

My old MBP fell under that recall and I remember there was a time limit on the recall. The company only has to announce the recall and give a certain amount of time for people to exchange. It's not open ended, because 5 years later falls well outside any battery warranty.

However, as others have said, talk to Apple and maybe your plea will fall on sympathetic ears.

6. proximo macrumors member

My 2007 MBP's battery expanded as you say and a year out of Applecare warranty, so 4 years after I bought it, the local Apple store replaced it on the spot. No questions, they just handed me a new one.