Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to you all, I'm writing on behalf of a friend who still uses a 2 GHZ Core2Duo iMac / 1 gig Ram / Snow Leopard. She mostly does browsing and email. She's on Facebook and some time one or two years ago Safari couldn't show Facebook pages properly so I found an old version of Firefox that could. Yeah could but 1 out of 2 times and freezes then beachball. Same for other sites the like of lottery results and email with pictures and so on. I thought I would upgrade the memory to 4 gig which is the max this iMac can take. My friend has started to hate her dinosaur! Question: is it worth upgrading the RAM ? What problems would it solve? My friend would like to go the iPad way now. I'm not sure. A 2017 iMac or a used or refurbished one? Money is an object...
Tanks in advance for your hints and help :apple:

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello again. Thanks EugW. The link you provide (should have provided it in the first place) points to the exact iMac. I visited OWC site and found the 6 GB kit but since I'm in Canada, it would be around 135$. Very reasonable price anyhow. I will probably do that. But how to instal El Capitan from Snow Leopard? Didn't Apple stop signing EC? I wonder: wouldn't it be "enough" for the Core2Duo to go Mavericks instead?
Thanks mucho

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hello again. Thanks EugW. The link you provide (should have provided it in the first place) points to the exact iMac. I visited OWC site and found the 6 GB kit but since I'm in Canada, it would be around 135$. Very reasonable price anyhow. I will probably do that. But how to instal El Capitan from Snow Leopard? Didn't Apple stop signing EC? I wonder: wouldn't it be "enough" for the Core2Duo to go Mavericks instead?
Thanks mucho
How to get El Capitan: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT206886

AFAIK, Apple Photos doesn't run on Mavericks.

Plus, you can send texts and make phone calls in El Capitan if you have an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.