2007 imac 2nd HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by elf69, Oct 2, 2016.

1. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

Is it worth doing?

The optical is IDE (UJ875)

I have 250GB drive at moment. I have a 250GB sata and a 100GB ide drive in a drawer.

I have a 120GB SSD i want to install.

but as the optical is pata is it worth loosing the optical?
    is usb faster? of if I could find one a firewire caddy?

I cannot afford a newer imac, I want one but just dont have the funds.
    So need upgrade the imac until can afford a newer unit.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The optical bus is faster than both the USB and FireWire on that model iMac. If you can get a optibay adapter for it, it'll work just fine.

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't spend a cent on upgrading a 9 year old computer. It will likely have to be replaced within the next year or two.

4. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68000

elf69

Why not upgrade this imac?

It does what I want and when I get it up to 6GB ram and an SSD it will have a new lease of life.

I cannot afford even the £400-500 for a used newer model that i want.
    So I will upgrade this one.

@Intell you say it would be ok to fit a pata to sata adaptor in the optical bay?

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I didn't advise you to buy a new model now. I advised you not to spend any money upgrading a 9 year old computer. That's quite a difference.

If you can upgrade without spending any money, then do it. If you spend money on upgrades, however, and your computer fails in the next year or two, you're going to regret having spent money that could have been used on the new computer.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They make optibay adapters that take a SATA hard drive and connect it to a PATA bus. I have one in my Macbook. Works pretty well.

7. elf69 thread starter macrumors 68000

elf69

I bought the imac with 1 years warranty from a refurbisher.
    I doubled ram to 4GB as had it from an old machine I upgraded.

I also have a 500GB (from windows PC) and 640GB (from an old imac) 3.5" drive I might put in as the 250GB is filling up as got lots of photos, music and my RC car videos
    It will be a few years before this machine gets replaced as my macbook is primary machine.

I like the imac and it works well.
    as I have a 120GB ssd and a 500GB 2.5" drive all I need is a optical bat adaptor for the 2nd HDD.
    These are cheap so I not be overly upset if it dies as can reuse the drives anyway.