2007 iMac Being Extremely Slow, Laggy, and Crashy (Desperate Help Needed)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Austin M., Jun 4, 2011.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I am really starting to get mad. My 2007 iMac has been very painful the past month. Here is what has happened: (If you need my "About This Mac" Info just ask.

1. Freezes for about 30-40 seconds when I am doing anything in general, the mouse clicker seems to disappear.
    2. When in almost any application, I have graphical glitches where the screen would turn green and rainbowish in one area and have graphic glitches in applications.
    3. Have gotten the "You need to shut down your computer" after the gray sliding bar comes down your screen about 10 times.

P.S. I have my whole computer backed up in case I need to wipe it clean in a last resort, but.....please......help....me :(:(:(

2. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Bump. I reset the permissions and everything runs a lot smoother. That begin said, I still get a lot of random freezes.

3. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Try resetting your PRAM by holding down COMMAND - OPTION - P - R when you power on the machine until it auto reboots again.

If that doesn't work, try resetting your PMU by unplugging the machine and all peripherals such as your mouse, keyboard or ethernet cable.etc, press the power button to drain the power and let it sit for a few minutes then plug it back in.