2007 iMac migration to 2015 iMac: any cleanup necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dictoresno, Jan 7, 2017.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I successfully moved everything to my new iMac using migration assistant. It worked absolutely perfectly at mirroring everything. My mid 2007 was on el Captain as was the 2015 iMac out of the box. Migrated everything before updating it to sierra. Now my question is, is there anything I need to do to clean up files or purge unnecessary system files that may have migrated over from my 2007? The size of both drives seem very close in terms of used space now, some minor differences. Did notice I had 50 GB of "other" on the new Mac that isn't reflecting on the old one. Now I had two virtual machines, windows 7 and a Linux one, on the old machine which transferred to the new one. Deleted the windows 7 one and the other decreased to 43gb. Any other way to check what may be taking up the rest of the "other" space.

Just wanted to start "fresh" but on a migrated machine. Everything is organized and I'm not worried about duplicated files.

Also, my time machine backup external disk shows a yellow external drive icon instead of the green time machine one. First Backup was performed earlier successfully. Any way to get the drives icon to revert back to green?

2. Weaselboy, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... nothing needs to be done. Assuming you did not have any junk on the old machine you did not want, migration just copies over your settings, apps and personal data, so you should be in good shape.

Sometimes that "Other" is off after a migration. Try running the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and that will usually correct the inaccurate storage readout.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

3. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno