2007 iMac - New SSD installed, need to install Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sick z33, Jun 18, 2013.

1. sick z33 macrumors 6502

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this, apologize if the mods need to move it.

So my sister gave me her old 2007 iMac that has a bad HD. I decided to upgrade the HD to an SSD but there is also a problem, she doesn't have the original discs. It had 10.6.3 loaded on the system before the HD crashed.

So the SSD is installed, but I am not sure what to do next. Would I need to purchase The Mountain Lion installation from the Mac store on any of my current Mac systems and set up a bootable USB? Or do I need to find a set of original discs and install whatever OS it had originally and upgrade to Mountain Lion? ? I've seen a few articles online how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Since the SSD is essentially blank, I think you will need to find an older copy of OS X on a disc and try to load the OS that way. Then you can install OS X onto the SSD. Your iMac is too old to have OS X Recovery.

Of course, if one is close by, you could always bring it to an Apple store.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

How about using another Mac to buy ML from the App Store and put the installer on a flash drive (I think it'll be over 4 gb)?