2007 iMac SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Clairex, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Clairex, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

Clairex macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an old 2007 iMac (7,1) that my parents use for basic internet usage. It used to work OK until about a few months ago, when things started to really slow down. It's gotten to the point where the spinning rainbow is constantly coming up, making it pretty unusable. I downloaded and ran DriveDx and got a 75% for overall health rating, and 1% for overall performance rating - so I guess the HD is on its way out.

Just wondering if it would still be worth it to put in an SSD into such an old machine. If so, I'd like to put a budget SSD in as I don't want to spend too much money on this anymore.

Would something like this work in this iMac?
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=083308

Or if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great!

It's currently running Mavericks with 2gb of ram (had 4gb but one of the modules died)

Thanks

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

That SSD should be perfectly fine. And it should give a very decent speed boost to the iMac. So I would say that it is definitely worth it.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That's the SSD I recently put in my 2007 MacBook Pro. The speedup is worth it and makes it a lot more than just "usable". They'll feel like it's a new computer.

With 2GB of RAM that iMac has probably been doing a lot of "paging" to the hard drive and that would explain the slowdown your are describing. An SSD will improve that a lot, also, but you should go ahead and get a 4GB RAM module to increase the total to 6GB (pretty sure that's the maximum but double check me at everymac.com).

4. flr macrumors member

My parents use my old MacBook Pro from 2007 (SSD + 4GB RAM) and this machine is still very fast. So I would definitely recommend to upgrade to a SSD and extra RAM.

5. Clairex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for the replies! I'll go ahead and put an SSD in and add more RAM as well.

6. MadDane macrumors 6502a

That sounds like a good plan. It will definitely spark some new life into the computer:)

7. zacster macrumors member

I'm still using a 2006 iMac with an SSD. The SSD was a big boost to the machine when I bought it to replace a failing hard drive. I question though whether doing an upgrade to a 2007 computer is even worth it at this point. My 2006 is on its last legs, even as I type this on it.

I'm assuming you are going to do it yourself, so good luck with it and take it slow.