2007 Mac Mini advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbyun04, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I've currently got an 07 Mac Mini 1.8GHz C2D for my parents with 1gb ram and 80gb hdd. It's slow as piss at the moment and I don't have the funds to upgrade it at the moment.

However, I may have an opportunity to trade for an 06 Intel iMac which is also a 1.8Ghz but 2gb of ram.

The only question is, how problematic are the 06 iMacs?

I've thought about upgrading the CPU and RAM on the Mini but I figure by the time I spend all that money, is it even worth it? Or should I save the thing altogether, sell it for whatever I can later, and use the cash to upgrade to a refurbished or used iMac / Mac Mini?

I'd love to get my parents an iMac just for the convenience of the all-in-one but the new Mac Mini is pretty spiffy as well...

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

My previous Mac was a late 06 17" white iMac. 2.0GHz C2D and 3GB of RAM - it was plenty fast (enough). My only beef was the 17" screen - I very quickly wanted more! Per my experience, though, it was a very reliable machine.

BUT... those machines still run about $450-500 (and I wouldn't touch the ones with the GMA950). I would just wait and get the new Mini, assuming they have a decent monitor/kb/mouse setup.