2007 Mac Mini and Windows 10...shockingly usable

fletma

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
Hi!

I’m not sure what you mean exactly by laggy, but to me running Windows 10 on this Mac Mini ”feels” to me like the difference between running Mac OS X on a power PC machine vs an Intel machine.
Douglas,

The OS itself appears to be ok - not lightening fast but no different from Windows 7. Where it is laggy is in playing video, what you can see is the video pause for a fraction of a second and then jump slightly to catch up. Same video, played by the same software on Windows 7 played perfectly.

After the upgrade I didn't reinstall and drivers, or boot camp assistant although I have not subsequently updated the graphics card driver without any impact. Was there anything you did post upgrade to get your machine working smoothly?

DouglasCarroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2016
You can clone the drives, either by creating an image (with Disk Utility) and restoring it into the destination drive, or via the terminal (with the dd command, for example, but this is more or less what Disk Utility uses, simply without a GUI), or some other software, for example Gparted is very good!

I've cloned disks with each of the upper suggested methods for Mac and Windows (and Linux) with success.
My understanding is that this doesn’t work for a Mac OS X drive with a Windows Boot Camp partition, I even contacted the author of “Carbon Copy Cloaner”, which is the backup solution I use, and he wrote back saying simply cloaning the hard drive with Boot Camp installed doesn’t work. I’ll do more research though....thanks for the info.

This is the kind of stuff i’m reading about....

- - Post merged: - -

Douglas,

The OS itself appears to be ok - not lightening fast but no different from Windows 7. Where it is laggy is in playing video, what you can see is the video pause for a fraction of a second and then jump slightly to catch up. Same video, played by the same software on Windows 7 played perfectly.

After the upgrade I didn't reinstall and drivers, or boot camp assistant although I have not subsequently updated the graphics card driver without any impact. Was there anything you did post upgrade to get your machine working smoothly?
I’ll check out some video files this evening and post my results....

DouglasCarroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2016
Okay, so I went ahead and played a mp4 video file of "The Lion King" movie, the new one, and had no issues whatsoever...no lagging at all ever, and I even played it off an external USB drive. I also streamed a 720p HD video on youtube in Microsoft Edge browser and had no lagging there either, it looked and played just great.

I'm not sure what your particular issue is but it is NOT normal to see lagging when playing video on this machine under Windows 10. Do you have an upgraded CPU and memory like I posted in my first message? Are you trying to play some crazy high resolution video?

Last edited: