2007 Mac mini - Anyway to manually control the fan speed?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wolfpackfan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Okay, I tried to replace some memory in my old 2007 mini, using one of the tutorials found on the web. Like a dummy, I accidentally broke the wire that connects the fan sensor (just like the tutorial told me not to do). So basically the fan on my mini now runs full speed. Is there any type of control that will let me manually reduce the fan speed so that it is not so loud? I found several utilities that seem to give me the fan speed, but nothing that will let me reduce the speed.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Yea, I tried smcFanControl, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the fan speed. I did see where I can order a new fan wire and I may try that, but i was just thinking if I could somehow just manually control the fan speed, I wouldn't have to go through the trouble. I never do anything that really heats up the mini that much. Right now the temp is 35C and the fan is running at 5495 rpm's.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

smcFanControl can lower it, but you have to use the Terminal to access the app's binary to control it. I do it all the time on my Blackbook. Works really well.

5. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

How do I go about doing that? I don't mind using Terminal.

6. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks loads. Exactly what I was looking for.