2007 Mac Mini to HDMI ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ugmold, Oct 9, 2017.

1. ugmold macrumors newbie

Hi folks I have a 2007 Mac Mini, 1.83 Intel CoreDuo. Is it possible to hitch this up to a Samsung TV that has a HDMI port?

Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    I just read another thread (I did search first, but these results only came up after I posted) And someone said a DVI to HDMI converter will work. But now I'm wondering about the audio?

2. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. I can get video, but there is no audio output from the monitor. Oh well.

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

There are a few differences between DVI and HDMI, one of them being that HDMI includes audio data, while DVI does not.

Still, I used my 2007 mini as an HTPC for years. You just need to use a standard audio cable between the mini and the TV. Most TVs support this.

4. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info on DVI to HDMI. What I am doing is using a Sony home theatre Receiver for audio. So the Mini can go directly to it. The Samsung TV has no audio out so I cannot. Now I am also thinking I would like to be able to record say a Football game when I am out on Sundays...so looking into DVR's (man I know nothing) But I did stumble onto this low budget possible solution. Terk TV tuner. http://www.terk.com/tv-tuner/
    Not only can it record to a usb HD, but it would have the outputs for audio lacking in the Samsung TV.
    Still trying to figure out if you can program it to record when you aren't home.

5. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'm not sure I understand. You don't want to send your audio directly from the mini to the Sony Receiver? Or are you trying to find a way to send audio out from the TV?

I've not tried one of those boxes myself, so I can't say how well it would work. Low budget tends to be limited, though, so be warned... ;)

6. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the Mini will go straight to the receiver, but the TV has no audio outs. So I am thinking this unit will give me the capability of having audio out of the TV.

The DVR part of it is gravy.

7. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Gotcha. You can also get a TV tuner that works with your Mac (or other network devices) -- there's one called "HDHomeRun":

https://www.silicondust.com/

I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good reviews for it.

8. ugmold thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried a Ematic AT103B Digital Converter Box w I got for $30 from Walmart, bad picture quality, the audio worked though. didn't try the record function....There are a bunch of these (cheapies) out there, all with mixed reviews.