2007 Mac Pro - Using a PC Video Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ikoy, Jul 27, 2011.

  1. Ikoy, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

    Ikoy macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2011
    Hi guys,

    I'm planning to replace/add a good PC video card just for boot camp use (Windows). I've read a lot of topics about this, and found out that it is indeed possible. Also, while reading through different topics, I remember someone saying that doing this in pre-2008 Mac Pros (mine was built around June of 2007) would have to sacrifice performance. Is this true?

    Oh by the way, I'm doing this for gaming and after effects. Well actually, gaming right now is fine with the 7300 card since I don't really play high-end games. The problem lies on using After Effects, I want to get the most out of it and not lag while editing and stuff. I never really tried using After Effects without Boot Camp, so I don't know if Windows is the cause of this.

    Now, I'm quite decided on getting a new card--hoping for better results. I just don't know if I can freely choose PC video cards from the market, and plug it in.
    Please advise. Thanks!

    PS. And if the option of getting a new card is viable, may I ask what high-end cards are currently available that I can use on my Mac (given that I always run it under boot camp, of course)?
  2. Cindori macrumors 68040


    Jan 17, 2008
    if you're only gonna run it in windows you can use any PC graphics card out there.
  3. Ikoy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2011
    Oh cool, thanks for the reply!
    So just to be sure, I can plug this in my Mac?:

    This is the card that I'm about to pick up from my brother's spare PC parts.
    I read that I also need to power up the video card, how do I go about that?

    Sorry for being naive, just started playing with the Mac.
  4. ActionableMango macrumors G3


    Sep 21, 2010
    That card should work.

    If your existing card in the Mac Pro that you are replacing has a power cable, just reuse it. If it does not, you'll need to buy a cable.


Share This Page