2007 Mac Pro vs. Core i7 iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluemotion2010, Jun 20, 2011.

1. bluemotion2010 macrumors newbie

I am a video editor and motion graphics designer and I have been researching this until my eyeballs have about fallen out of my head.... I still can't seem to find the answers I am looking for about the computer I have currently VS the 2011 Core i7 iMac. I know that there have been similar questions posted regarding this, but I have yet to find one geared towards my specific setup:

I currently have a 2007 Mac Pro (desktop):
    3GHz Dual-Quad Core Intel Xeon Processor
    4GB RAM
    1.5 TB Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon X1900

My questions:

1.) If I were to sell this, how much should I ask for it?

2.) Should I decide to sell it, would going to the Core i7 SSD iMac be an upgrade, downgrade, or about the same performance?

3.)I know that the Mac Pro is expandable and has more cores, but with the updated processor and new technologies built into the iMac, would it make up for it?

This article from Macworld is what piqued my interest, and I am just trying to get an idea. http://www.macworld.com/article/160469/2011/06/ultimateimac2011.html

Again, I know that there have been similar questions about this topic, but I need specific answers for my setup, so if you are going to bash me for re-posting a similar question, please don't bother.

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

1. You should check for similar tech Mac Pros on whatever site you are going to sell it at to get an estimate/approximation. These 'markets' are what set the price, really.

2. quad Core i7 SSD against your Mac Pro? I'd say it's a good upgrade (SSD adds a lot to the table and the new i7 quads have Turbo Boost @ 3.8GHz)

3. It depends on what your idea of upgrade is. On the iMac you can only upgrade its RAM (up to 32GB I think) without having to completely disarticulate the computer.

Alternatively a refresh for the Mac Pro seems likely for August, just dropping that in there if interested.

3. iMaci7 macrumors member

In certain applications the 8-core will be better, its a matter if the program can utilize all 8 cores and the dual socket setup. If your looking to save space/engery/heat and noise, then the iMac will be a nice upgrade. Its amazing how fast these iMacs are :eek: