Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John585

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
The other day I went into my local apple store to see a genius about the crack along the front edge of the case where the screen meets the bottom case. The genius told me that the program to fix the crack was only extended one year after the 2 year apple care warranty ended. So 2010 was the last year I could have the bottom case repaired free of change.
I just want to know if what I was told was true. He also said the plastic bezel around the screen would also have to be replaced which I think was just a scam to get me into paying for any kind of repair.
I didn't get anything fixed just wanted to check what I should do before going back in again.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
The other day I went into my local apple store to see a genius about the crack along the front edge of the case where the screen meets the bottom case. The genius told me that the program to fix the crack was only extended one year after the 2 year apple care warranty ended. So 2010 was the last year I could have the bottom case repaired free of change.
I just want to know if what I was told was true. He also said the plastic bezel around the screen would also have to be replaced which I think was just a scam to get me into paying for any kind of repair.
I didn't get anything fixed just wanted to check what I should do before going back in again.

Apple fixes them generally with no questions asked. I checked Apples MacBook support page and it currently only lists the bottom case replacement program. I would try a different Apple store, a different genius or ask to speak with a manager. Its not unheard of people having their cracked cases repaired free 3-5 years out of warranty. That being said, apple replaces the bottom case on a case by case basis so I would imagine the top case is the same way.

Apple support community thread regarding case replacement
https://discussions.apple.com/message/11250506?searchText=top case replace#11250506

John585

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can bring it into another store and see how it goes.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
I've had three different early MacBooks fixed under this program and all were well after the timeframe the Genius cited to you. I can also confirm that the stores did replace the bezel. There is speculation that the bezel is different now than originally used, and if I'm not mistaken the Genius explained that to me when I had them replaced, but it's not merely a scam to get you to pay more money. Keep in mind it's the bezel that actually creates the problem, not the top case.

ashabs

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
5 years and 4 months - no go..

Don't know why I waited so long, but it was working fine with the cracks.

Called apple support, and they told me they would replace it.
Took it the LAS and they said that Apple might refuse because it was more than 5 years old.

I was confused, but trusted the guy from Apple, and then the LAS told me Apple refused. They even had me pay the service fee of 85$.

I complained 3 stops in the line of phone calls; all it got me was a Trackpad worth the 85$. I'm a little disappointed, but then again: I was too late.

Macbook2,1 (late 2006).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.