2007 Macbook not recognizing HDD/SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by repentix, Nov 12, 2014.

1. repentix macrumors regular

I got my first macbook (or apple laptop for that matter) yesterday for 65€ from a friend. It's a 2.16 GHz 2007 white macbook with 4GB ram and no HDD due to the data left on it. The reason I got it so cheap is because the laptop was somehow stuck at the apple logo at boot due to a HDD failure, the price was also cheaper due to the battery bulging. The first thing I did was dissassemble the whole thing to clean it (it only uses philips screws) and install the SSD. I then tried to install SL, but failed due to the macbook not recognizing my sata 3 SSD, the sata controller however was recognized. I then retried installing SL with a sata 2 HDD, but failed again due to the HDD not being recognized.

My question is: why the SSD/HDD isn't being recognized when the controller is? Is it a Sata cable failure?
    In additon will the apple store change my bulging battery against a new one (328 cycles)?

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Did you formatted the drive properly (using Disk Utility) before trying to install OSX?

Also, if the battery holds ~3 hours of normal browsing via Safari, brightness at 50%, it seems to be working properly. It will probably not provide more than 30min with a brand new one.