2007 Macbook Pro - 15 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xiaobao12, Apr 21, 2010.

1. xiaobao12 macrumors newbie

I just bought this yesterday. It is in almost perfect cosmetic condition.

The specs:

-2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo
    -NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT - 256MB memory
    -4GB RAM
    -320GB HD
    -Mac OS X Snow Leopard
    -iWork and iLife '09 plus Final Cut
    -Carrying case (a little old)
    -Incase protector
    -No Applecare
    -No charger; I already bought one on Ebay for $22.

How much would you have paid for it?

I paid $900.....but after talking to a few people (some from the Applestore), I feel like I may have been ripped off.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I priced my 2007 2.4g MBP with 500g HD at Mac2sell and it came out at about $870, so you're in the ballpark. You can go to the site and enter the specs and see what they say...

3. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that link. My computer came out at $980....

I asked a friend who works at the Applestore to ask his buddies how much they would have paid and they gave a range of $500 to $700, which made me feel really bad....

4. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

That is absolutely hilarious. I just had the Macbook pro in my signature worked on, which is the same model as yours, sans the 2.6ghz BTO, and they wanted $900 to replace the LCD panel alone. That didn't include the housing.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

doesnt seem bad but it is the 8600 time bomb so watch it

6. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

sigh.....this is so frustrating. First, I find out that I didn't get a great deal on my MBP. Today, I charged it and the icon showed a "needs service" symbol. Then, this stuff regarding the 8600 time bomb.

I'm so worried that the vid card will die after 3 years! :mad:

8. cdembek macrumors regular

I just put my MBP 2.2ghz / 4gig ram / 320gig drive on craigslist for $850. Still looks/runs like the first day I got it.

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Don't feel bad. $900 is not the best price ever, but it's not bad either. Those people saying $500 - $700 - okay, that might be what they'd want to pay, but you'll never find a good condition MacBook Pro with those specs at that price point. Browse ebay and craigslist and see for yourself. You can find old @$$ core duos or dented up SRs. It's similar to how mac2sell and others think the aluminum macbooks are worth like $500. Again, you'll never find one at that price point unless you're buying from a friend or relative.

The battery issue sucks, but you can easily get a replacement. They sell OEM Apple batteries on ebay and such for $50 or less. The classic MBP is a solid machine, I've owned it and loved it. They're durable and in my experience run very well for awhile.

Don't fret about the 8600 either. Both of my roommates have that model, going on year 3+. It's not a definite it will die.

If you're still uncomfortable with your purchase, you can always re-sell and put more money toward something new.

Good luck.

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

i just saw a 2.4GHZ (SR?) with some AC left, and they got $1300 for it on craigslist. Even if i could get $1500 for mine, i wouldn't sell:)

11. xiaobao12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Queen of Spades, thanks for your post. It makes me feel a lot better.

I'm going to do some searching on these forums regarding using non-apple batteries but do you think those OEM batteries from Ebay are safe? I heard they start to fail after 6 months or so...

I am glad that you posted.:)

12. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You're welcome. ;)

You can buy original Apple batteries on ebay, as well as third party ones. I've purchased a couple of used Apple brand ones for some of the old MacBooks I had, with like 50-100 cycles on them and haven't had any issues. Some of them even come with 3 month warranties, which is enough time to make sure it works properly. There are a some popular, reputable sellers, just do a little searching.