2007 Macbook Pro 15 logicboard upgrade??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TRDGT4Writer, Feb 24, 2014.

1. TRDGT4Writer macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

I bought a 2007 Macbook Pro2,1 for about 1G. I'm a poor student trying to make ends meet with it. I've hear rumors that I can upgrade its logicboard to early 2008 specs. Mine has 256MB VRAM, 2.33GHz CPU, and 4 GB RAM (3 can only be addressed) while the one in question has a Nvidia 512MB 8600GT M card, and a 2.6 GHz CPU, and can support 6GB.

Is this true? can I upgrade the logicboard?

I want to know this because I want to know I'll run into problems such as keyboard mapping since its a bit different. I love it because It's my first Mac.

Anything you can give me would be greatly appreciated

I know the old saying goes: If it ain't broke don't fix it", but I want to get the most out of it before it dies completely. To me, its like an old vintage car that you want to keep fixing until there's no life left....

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Did you just buy it?

The cost of getting a logic board (in most cases) would outweigh the value of your computer.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

What he said.

The 8600GT is a ticking time bomb anyway, you'll be swapping your logicboard more often than you'd like if you buy one with it.

4. TRDGT4Writer thread starter macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

I bought in Fall 2011 when I was taking a FCP7 Class. F-FWD a few years, I've yet to make more money because of issues which I don't want to bore you with. It also doubled as my birthday present :(. I wish I had a higher powered one like the June '12 with all the upgrades incl. SuperDrive which is like what $2K+ now?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have no idea what currency you're referring to, but a Mid 2012 model is probably around $1500 now.