2007 Macbook Pro 3,1 - 6 GB upgrade - any issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barnettgs, Oct 27, 2013.

1. barnettgs macrumors member

I had bought 4 GB memory stick a couple of years ago and the brand of ram was AXL which was unknown to me. However mine booted up fine with it installed and all was well so I thought.

However, the underside of Macbook Pro was running hotter than it used to be and a shorter battery life.

After a year or so, I took it out and replaced it with another 2 GB ram, it runs cooler and the battery life is better. Could it be to do with a cheaper unknown brand of ram?

Does anyone have any issues with their 6 GB 2007 Macbook Pro? And what make/model of their 4 GB ram?

2. Maccleduff macrumors regular

No issues here on 2007 MBP with 6gb running mavericks, just some no name brand of 4gb ordered from ebay, came from Japan.

3. Hepatical macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 MBP with 2.2 GHz CPU, 128 MB Nvidia 8600mGT, 6 GB RAM, Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, running Mavericks.

Everything is nice and smooth, cool and quiet, I'm fully able to use all 6 GB of RAM.

The 4 GB stick I put in is a 4 GB Crucial DDR2-667 - PC2-5300 - CL5.

Hope this helps.

4. barnettgs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies. I had sold the 4GB memory after I found out that it didn't go well with my MBP so hopefully it could have been a minor compatibility issue.

I have just found a good price for 4 GB Crucial so hopefully it will work well when I get it in the post.

5. barnettgs thread starter macrumors member

I have just received Crucial 4 GB 667 ram yesterday and installed it and since then, I am pleased that there has been no overheating issue like I had from the old 4 GB ram so it seems it is always worthwhile to go for quality brands of memory.