2007 Macbook Pro A1226 advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hulinator8102, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Hulinator8102 macrumors newbie

I saw this little Macbook on eBay and bought it for $510 is this a good deal? Is the 2007 A1226 a good Macbook or did I mess up buying it? I really wanted to get into the world of Macbooks I really hope I made a good purchase here

Also if I update these dudes to the latest software can they run Final Cut Pro X smoothly?

And how hard it is to find a AC Adapter for one of these MBPs this one doesn't come with one.

2. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Prior to my rMBP I was doing video editing (color correcting and such) on Adobe Premiere Pro w/ my 2006 Macbook and it was really tough at times to run it. Also the encoding and rendering took way to long. So while I think it can run it I'm just not sure it'll run buttery smooth. It was a lot of work on my CPU.

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

4. Hulinator8102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I run Final Cut Pro X on it? the latest one if I do max out my RAM and buy a SSD?

5. pgiguere1, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I wouldn't buy SSD for a 2007 MBP. There's no point in having super fast storage with an outdated CPU like that. As for the price, I think it's way too high. You can get PC laptops with modern specs (dual-core i5, hd 4000, 8GB ram) for that price.

Also you won't be able to get the very latest software. Mountain Lion needs a late-2008 MBP or older. Basically all unibody models.

I would have gone with the first generation of unibody MBP like this one for $599: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...76405251?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item19d6b58f03 and update the RAM to 8GB for like $35.

6. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

you wrong ,late 2007 macbook pros and up are able to run mountain lion
    very handy app here
    http://mactracker.ca

7. Hulinator8102 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about a 1TB external hard drive would that help me beef up my machine any? I really need a way to conserve CPU usage yet do big Final Cut Projects and upload game capture stuff to YouTube that's really all I plan to use the a1226 for is game capture and video editing and maybe the occasional PCA game:) lol

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yes you can do that. 510.00 seems too much. I got this from ebay for less than 350..It comes everything and 4GB!! I upgraded to Intel 330 SSD. It is perfect. :apple:

9. Hulinator8102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question/concern I have is this:

My camcorder I have is a HDR-CX160 it shoots it full HD 1080p I'm going to be bringing 720p video from my game capture device as well into Final Cut Pro X on my 07 MacBook Pro, I want to send it to YouTube once I get done working on it in HD 720 or 1080p, is all this possible?

10. pfatagaga macrumors newbie

Upgrade to Mavericks!

Have the same model (A1226) that sucked phenomenally on Mountain Lion. I even thought of downgrading to Tiger or Leopard. After doing a bit of research I installed Mavericks and boy it runs like a dream with 4GB RAM. You should do it too if you haven't yet.

11. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

I have that model; I gave it to my wife a while back-- still works, but I've had two logic board replacements, and two display replacements. This is usually out of the ordinary for Macs, but that model had a faulty GPU that was recalled. The GPU would overheat, frying the logic board. At $510, it's way too overpriced. In my opinion, since it's nearing 7 years old, it will soon be regarded by Apple as "vintage" and they will no longer officially support it. Therefore, search for a newer MBP and forget about this one.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

You grossly overpaid for a computer with a know-to-be-faulty graphics card that is likely to die on you at any moment leaving you with an expensive paper weight. That thing is nearly 7 years old.

AC adapters are very easy to find, just buy a 85W magsafe from the apple store.

Final cut pro will work, but don't expect lightning fast performance. You'll be seeing a ton of beachballs are general sluggishness trying to edit HD video on such old hardware.

----------

How would an external hard drive help speed? You need to read up on computer a bit as I don't think you quite understand how they work.

More storage does not mean more performance.

13. scupking macrumors 6502a

Way to much money and as others have said those tend to be faulty computers.