2007 MacBook Pro and PowerBook G4 for $100

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stephen Dowling, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hey everyone.

I have a very close friend that was given two "broken" computers by his grandfather. He said he'd be more than willing to sell me both of them at $50 each. I'm pretty sure I should take this deal, but will it be worth it? There are only minor problems with the two machines. The Powerbook has a bad Hardrive and the MacBook Pro has a broken screen, but is still fully functional. Both of these machines were tested by Apple. Very little cost is involved in fixing these things and my friend is aware of that, but he still wants to sell them to me. Should I take this deal?

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

If you have the money, go for it. I mean, I would. If the machines are in fine condition as you say they are, it's a very good deal. You can always tear them apart and sell parts on eBay if you don't want to repair them, and you will still get more than $50.

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

even if you dont plan on fixing them its a great investment, i say go for it! :D

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Definitely get them. The hard drive replacement is very easy. The screen replacement on the MB Pro is a bit more advanced but not too difficult.

For the screen I would only buy a new one off eBay and get the LCD only which is far cheaper than the full assembly. I say eBay only as new replacement LCD's are the cheapest there by far and there are many reputable sellers with tens of thousands of positive feedback's.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Go for it. IIRC, Apple will completely overhaul the MBP for less than $400. The hard-disk replacement is a no-brainer in either case. Or, as other have stated here, you can go Ebay and do it yourself. http://www.iFixit.com will be a great resource for you either way.

6. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

I replaced the screen (just swapping the LCD itself) on my mom's MacBook Pro '06 in 2007 after the screen met an unfortunate end by way of gravity and a Mag-Light. So long as you go slowly & calmly, it's actually a pretty easy repair.

7. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

I bought the Pro Today for $50. It's an early 2008 MacBook Pro 4,1. 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo and 8600 GT w/ 512mb VRAM and Glossy display. Sweet.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

:eek:

Wonder if gramps was just made of money or just didn't give a crap. How one can sell a CTO MBP which cost @ new atleast 2300 and is still within 3 years of release is unfathomable.

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Sometimes grandfathers just give things to their nephews. Money is not everything you know.