2007 Macbook Pro Battery Swelled

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andymc1989, Mar 15, 2012.

1. andymc1989 macrumors newbie

So I went to use my 2007 (maybe 2008) MBP for the first time in maybe 6 months to discover the battery appears to have exploded (see attachment).

It's long past its warranty and it has other problems with the screen, so I'm not too concerned with saving it. But I am a bit concerned that it might burn down my house.

Apple said I should just take it in to a store. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your thread title is misleading. You should change it. Your battery did not explode. It simply swelled, as many batteries have done. It will not "burn down your house". Just replace it.

3. andymc1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry to have mislead you, I didn't know how to best describe it, hence the inverted commas surrounding it.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

4. OceanView macrumors 65816

I have the same problem today.
    Lately my battery has not kept its charge.
    Today I noticed the battery has expanded.
    I too am out of warranty and not sure if there is something Apple may do for me.
    Was there a recall on this?

What are you gonna do? If you take it to Apple, will they give you a new one?
    Please let me know.

Thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's out of warranty, they're not obligated to replace it without cost. However, it never hurts to ask, as sometimes they make exceptions.

6. Takashi macrumors regular

Take the battery out of the computer and store it inside a plastic bag. Do not store any metal objects with the battery. Take the battery and the computer to apple store and see what they can do for you. You might get a free one, or you might have to pay for it. Either way, do not put the swelled battery back into the computer and do not use it. If apple will take the swelled battery, give it to them and don't throw it into any household trash.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Mine starts looking like that too. It's sitting on the window board far away from anything else, until I find the time to bring it to Apple for recycling.

There's a small chance for a free battery I guess, if you find a nice genius. Batteries are consumables, but one could make the point that this obviously is a manufacturing defect. That being said, out of warranty nothing is covered ;)