2007 Macbook Pro Battery Swelled

andymc1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
So I went to use my 2007 (maybe 2008) MBP for the first time in maybe 6 months to discover the battery appears to have exploded (see attachment).

It's long past its warranty and it has other problems with the screen, so I'm not too concerned with saving it. But I am a bit concerned that it might burn down my house.

Apple said I should just take it in to a store. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks

Attachments

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I went to use my 2007 (maybe 2008) MBP for the first time in maybe 6 months to discover the battery appears to have exploded (see attachment).
Your thread title is misleading. You should change it. Your battery did not explode. It simply swelled, as many batteries have done. It will not "burn down your house". Just replace it.

andymc1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Your thread title is misleading. You should change it. Your battery did not explode. It simply swelled, as many batteries have done. It will not "burn down your house". Just replace it.
I'm sorry to have mislead you, I didn't know how to best describe it, hence the inverted commas surrounding it.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I have the same problem today.
Lately my battery has not kept its charge.
Today I noticed the battery has expanded.
I too am out of warranty and not sure if there is something Apple may do for me.
Was there a recall on this?

What are you gonna do? If you take it to Apple, will they give you a new one?
Please let me know.

Thanks

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009

It's long past its warranty and it has other problems with the screen, so I'm not too concerned with saving it. But I am a bit concerned that it might burn down my house.

Apple said I should just take it in to a store. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks
Take the battery out of the computer and store it inside a plastic bag. Do not store any metal objects with the battery. Take the battery and the computer to apple store and see what they can do for you. You might get a free one, or you might have to pay for it. Either way, do not put the swelled battery back into the computer and do not use it. If apple will take the swelled battery, give it to them and don't throw it into any household trash.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Mine starts looking like that too. It's sitting on the window board far away from anything else, until I find the time to bring it to Apple for recycling.

There's a small chance for a free battery I guess, if you find a nice genius. Batteries are consumables, but one could make the point that this obviously is a manufacturing defect. That being said, out of warranty nothing is covered ;)