2007 MacBook Pro / cpu replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andloph, Jun 13, 2017.

1. andloph macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Silent lurker here, have been around here for several years already I think but this is my first post.

My mbp from 2007 has been working just fine with El Capitan until a couple of weeks ago. It started to misbehave and throwing lots of kernel panics / hangs at boot and so on.

A non official apple service here had a look to it and they say the cpu went to hell. They can still replace it but I was wondering : how about actually installing a more modern cpu that has sse4 in order to be able to run Sierra ?
    Would the macOS installer actually recognize that even if the laptop is older it has a more modern cpu ?

I haven’t asked yet if it actually is possible from a hardware point of view ( socket, heat sink and so on) but if it is possible and the installation is possible then I would certainly try and see what happens.

Thanks for any input !

2. robvas macrumors 68020

I'd blame the RAM/motherboard instead of just the CPU

Unfortunately there's not much you can upgrade them with. Probably the 2.6GHz version of the chip you already have.

3. andloph thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, my first thought was too that the main board or ram went to hell but not according to the reparation service.
    They replaced its gpu months ago, I trust them when they say the cpu is to blame.

I was just wondering if maybe a t9500 ( or something similar) would be a valid option.
    Do you mean it is just a hardware problem ( different socket, bigger heat sink or whatever ) or are there also software requirements?

Thanks !

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Right - there are chips that are compatible but then there are chips that might generate too much heat or something - If you have access to cheap or very free chips you could try it, but like I said I really doubt it is the CPU.

5. iMacC2D, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017