2007 Macbook Pro Dying? (Unexpected Restarts)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CedarPoint182, Dec 20, 2013.

1. CedarPoint182 macrumors member

Over the past couple of months, my 2007 MacBook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo) has been restarting unexpectedly.

(Just as it sounds, the computer will shut off without warning, and then reboot normally. Sometimes, the computer won't even make it through the start-up process before shutting off and rebooting again.) The restarts have gotten more frequent over time; now, the computer can and will restart every few minutes.

The restarts don't seem related to any particular application; they've occurred while surfing the Internet, typing in a Word document, watching a DVD, etc. I have noticed, however, that the problem seems to get worse the longer the computer is left on (perhaps as the computer becomes hotter?).

The hardware test came back clear. I've tried multiple SMC and PRAM resets. I've also repaired disk permissions. Nothing has helped.

Can anyone help me diagnose / correct this issue? I realize the computer is old, but I'd love to continue using the machine for Internet browsing / word processing if at all possible. Then again, I don't want to waste too much time on the machine if it's beyond repair.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

That's no good. Is your Mac running overly-hot? If so, then cleaning the dust out of the fans may help.

Another idea is to check the RAM. If you have two ram sticks, try running with only one, to determine if one of them is faulty.

3. CedarPoint182 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response, ohbrilliance. The computer does not get overly hot; it gets warm, but never past the point where the fans have to rev up.

Wouldn't the hardware test have detected an issue with the RAM if it was indeed to blame?

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I suppose it would have, sorry I missed that part. It's worth a try anyway..

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Wouldn't the hardware test have detected an issue with the RAM if it was indeed to blame? ]]

Just some thoughts.

Perhaps I missed it in your original post, but is the RAM factory-installed, or did you replace it at some point?

If you did replace the RAM at some point, I suggest you put the -original RAM- back in, and see if that makes a difference (regardless of what the tests say).

If the RAM is original, you might try opening the case, then carefully removing and re-seating the RAM, to ensure it is making good contact in the slots.

6. hajime macrumors 68030

I think there was a design fault with the device. Is the GPU from Nvidia? After repairing it for about 5 times, Apple exchanged the faulty MBP with the latest model at that time.