2007 Macbook Pro failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wirkus24, Sep 13, 2012.

1. wirkus24 macrumors newbie

Laptop boots to the startup screen (Apple logo and spinning wheel). After that there are horizontal lines that appear (the logo and wheel are offset). I have reset the PRAM, and drained the battery. The last 2 times that I have drained the battery, the system will boot up normally and give me access to my desktop for a couple of minutes before the screen will wig-out. The mouse will still move, but the windows become unresponsive. After a minute of this the entire computer will freeze.
    This time the computer booted up normally and I left it until it got to the screen saver. The screen saver is not moving, but the mouse was responsive until the whole computer froze again.
    The battery has been less than stellar on the machine for the past 8 months (I'm lucky to get 15 minutes off the cord). I have my doubts that it has to do with the battery because of the lines that will show up in the screen right before everything starts to wig-out.

Any suggestions?

2. summerdream macrumors newbie

I would say backup your data (if you haven't done so) and move on to new MacBook Pro.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Take it to Apple Store they might be able to help you..They are free. :apple:

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The screen artifacts have nothing to do with pram or battery. Considering the battery is basically dead and you have what may be a problem with a logic board component, that machine may be destined for retirement in the near future.

5. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

It might be a graphics failure if you have the 8600GT. It might be time for a new laptop if Apple won't replace it for you for free.

6. wirkus24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reset SMC

Roamed around for any sort of solution to my problem- Like was mentioned I was afeared that my logic board had gone caput (a common issue as I found). Figured I might as well try everything, so I reset the SMC (remove the battery, hold down the power button for 5 seconds, reinsert battery and restart). The computer tried to start up again and froze within about a minute. Tried once more and left it alone; 10 minutes later it was at the log in screen. I thought I might get another 2 minutes out of it like every other time, but this time it started and has continued to work just fine for the past 3 days. Huzzah. Thanks for the constructive ideas folks.

P.S. Not everyone is up for the idea of replacing their $1400 laptop every 4 years (it's actually a 2008). Giving up and moving on is not as appreciated as real solutions.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Glad that you fixed it, but you may want to take it into an Apple store and have it checked for the NVIDIA M8600GT recall. You may actually be eligible for a logic board replacement.

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Sometimes, that's the only real solution, especially as the hardware gets older. And it's not "giving up", it's recognizing that the machine has reached the end of its useful life.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I swear I'm not crazy...

But a lot of handy folks have stated they disassemble their logic boards and bake them at low heat in their ovens (200 degrees) to effect a repair on them.

Sounds like a major PITA to me, but if you've got the eyes, the hands and the time, why not?