2007 MacBook Pro on craigslist

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by natemarston, Jul 19, 2010.

1. natemarston macrumors newbie

Hi I'm new to these forums, and hopefully new to Macs soon as well.
    I recently found a 2007 15.4" MacBook Pro on craigslist and I was wondering if this would be a good buy, and how much I would be able to upgrade it.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/sys/1852037701.html

For my major for college, (audio engineering) it is recommended to have a MBP and a 7200 rpm hard drive. It is also recommended to have Snow Leopard as an OS, and the highest amount of RAM and HD space available.
    The major problem I have is that I only have about $1000 to spend right now, so even a refurb might clean me straight out, which is why I have been looking on craigslist.

As I said earlier, I'm wondering if I would be able to upgrade this MBP to what I would need for my major.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could definitely do some upgrades to that. You could get Snow Leopard for $30, a 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive for about $75, and I believe that computer can use 4GB RAM, which you can get for about $90-100. So overall, you could spend about $800 for that. Plus, you could maybe see if you could get a slightly lower price, or get a large external HD for file storage, etc.

3. natemarston thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.
    If I were to meet with him, what should I be looking for in terms of whether or not the laptop is still in good condition?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Check for dents, ask to boot it and make sure all major functions work properly. Make sure the keyboard doesn't have any problems with it. Any big issues will surface basically immediately, so if anything seems fishy, then it probably is.

5. natemarston thread starter macrumors newbie

There was another post earlier this morning:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/sys/1852846267.html

Would this be a better deal? I wouldn't have to upgrade anything except for the hard drive, but it doesn't come with all of the other software (Adobe CS5, etc.)

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I can get a good deal.

Thanks.

6. Shownarou macrumors regular

A better deal? Looks too good to be true..

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Probably stolen; it's only 6 months old!