2007 Macbook Pro on TigerOSX Advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mooging, Feb 2, 2012.

1. mooging macrumors newbie

Hi, I just signed up for MacRumors now, so apologies if anyone has inquired about a similar issue to the one I'm having, but any advice is much appreciated!

I currently have an old MacBookPro that still works great but is running on the old Tiger. I'm a designer that can't afford the Adobe CS5, otherwise I would upgrade to the Lion as I've been told I can. BUT, unfortunately, I own CS3 and CS4 and use both as they're each different suites: one design, the other production. I've been worried about upgrading the osx due to potential compatibility issues and so far haven't run into many with the Tiger. But, I have noticed some issues with the CS4 suite and my online web browser/Firefox require upgrades that Tiger doesn't support.

Overall, I do need to upgrade my Tiger, for instance, my iPhone4 doesn't connect with Tiger.

So with the situation I've explained here, does anyone have any advice on what OS I should or can upgrade to? Is it Snow Leopard or is Leopard recommended? And if it is Snow Leopard, am I able to upgrade directly from my Tiger or do I need to upgrade to Leopard first before doing so?

I'm pretty clueless here, so ANY advice and help would be so appreciated. Thank you much! :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd go with snow leopard, personally. Slightly faster running and leaner than leopard with some nice GUI touches.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Another vote for Snow Leopard. Lion has some upgrades that while they are fun, use more resources.

You can still buy the Snow Leopard DVD here from Apple: Link

You can use a retail Snow Leopard disc to update your system, although I am not clear as to whether Apple wants you to do so. However, since you can't buy Leopard from them anymore, I say go for it.

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM FIRST! Stuff can go wrong. Upgrading could reveal a problematic hard drive or just get botched in general. But you will most likely incur no issues. Your CS3 & CS4 software will work just fine and licenses should carry right over. You may have to upgrade your iLife suite if it's too old a version though.

Hope this helps

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Another vote for Snow Leopard. All the Leopard goodness with the bloat removed.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

SL is probably your best bet, I rant into a similar problem last year when I picked up the 4 and realized Tiger wasn't supported.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If your choice is between Leopard and Snow Leopard, definitely go with Snow Leopard. It's a nice, stable OS and was basically a better version of Leopard.

7. mooging thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, everyone!

I appreciate all the advice. I am definitely going to upgrade to Snow Leopard, it seems clear from the responses-- hopefully I will do it correctly ;) Super glad I can jump directly to Snow Leopard.. Thanks, again!!!!!