Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bekx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Hi all,

I know that a few people have asked this question over the years but considering the price difference between upgrading to 4GB (Apple recommended) or maxing the MBP out to 6GB, I was wondering what was worth doing.

Tha machine in question is a 2007 MBP Santa Rosa model, 2.2 Ghz Intel 2 Core Duo still on it's original 2GB of RAM and last year it had the upgraded NIVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor fitted. It's running on Snow Leopard at the moment also and I mainly use Adobe CS programs.

Is the 6GB worth the higher cost investment?

(My idea is to make it a bit more future proof)

I'd be grateful for your input!!

Cheers :)

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
If you're still running a hard drive you may want to consider upgrading to an SSD. That alone would give you a huge increase in speed. Unless there is something you are doing that is quite memory intensive.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi all,

I know that a few people have asked this question over the years but considering the price difference between upgrading to 4GB (Apple recommended) or maxing the MBP out to 6GB, I was wondering what was worth doing.

Tha machine in question is a 2007 MBP Santa Rosa model, 2.2 Ghz Intel 2 Core Duo still on it's original 2GB of RAM and last year it had the upgraded NIVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor fitted. It's running on Snow Leopard at the moment also and I mainly use Adobe CS programs.

Is the 6GB worth the higher cost investment?

(My idea is to make it a bit more future proof)

I'd be grateful for your input!!

Cheers :)
There isn't much future-proofing to be done. Your 2007 machine is downright ancient by today's standards. For reference, a current-generation iPad has more than half your computer's available computing power.

Going to 4GB RAM can't hurt, especially for CS programs. I'd go to 6GB even. But honestly, chucking that amount of cash at such an old machine does not seem very worthwhile to me when a current generation Macbook Pro would run circles around it without breaking a sweat.

bekx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
There isn't much future-proofing to be done. Your 2007 machine is downright ancient by today's standards. For reference, a current-generation iPad has more than half your computer's available computing power.

Going to 4GB RAM can't hurt, especially for CS programs. I'd go to 6GB even. But honestly, chucking that amount of cash at such an old machine does not seem very worthwhile to me when a current generation Macbook Pro would run circles around it without breaking a sweat.

Thank you for your comments but I'm sure you can understand not everyone can afford a new machine - Plus the fact, the more forum posts I read the more confused I get! It seems Apple may not be what it was back in 2006/2007. Issues with OS, not so user-firendly when it comes to upgrading hardware etc etc.

I'm just looking at my options.

Which SSD would be best for the MBP 3.1 if I was to go down that route and would I need an adapter etc?

Thanks!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thank you for your comments but I'm sure you can understand not everyone can afford a new machine - Plus the fact, the more forum posts I read the more confused I get! It seems Apple may not be what it was back in 2006/2007. Issues with OS, not so user-firendly when it comes to upgrading hardware etc etc.

I'm just looking at my options.

Which SSD would be best for the MBP 3.1 if I was to go down that route and would I need an adapter etc?

Thanks!
I hear you. I could not afford a new laptop at the moment either. I still think chucking money at a computer that is more than 8 years old is not very wise. That money would be best saved for a newer machine.

'Tis true about upgrades, basically, any retina Mac can essentially be considered as non-upgradeable, you're stuck with what you bought. RAM is soldered in and blade-type SSD's are prohibitevely expensive.

Back to the matter at hand:

Any 2.5" SATA drive would fit right in, no adapter is needed. The computer has a SATA I link so there is no point in paying more for a SATA III drive which would throttle down to SATA I speeds anyway.

I'd get whatever's cheapest in the needed capacity from a reputable company (crucial, intel, samsung to name a few) that stands behind their products. I suggest you take a look at newegg.com and amazon for the best deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.