2007 MacBook Pro won't boot from leopard disc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gPaul, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gPaul macrumors newbie

I no longer know the password to my MacBook pro and I need to boot from the leopard disc to reinstall the operating system, but I've tried restarting and shutting down and then turning on and holding C several times and it won't seem to boot from the disc?

Is this a problem with the disc or something, or is there something else I can do to make it boot from the disc?

Or is there another way I can get past the password since I don't know it anymore?
    Thanks.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I don't know why it's not booting from the disc, but you might try the commands here to reset your password. I know it works, I've done it on both my Macs.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Is it a retail disk of Leopard? Or is it the disk that came with your computer?

4. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a burnt copy I got from a friend so it's a retail version I assume.

How do you enter those commands, do you type them exactly how it says them, I've never done this before. And after each step(12345) do you press enter?

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why don't you have the disks that should have come with the computer when you legally purchased it?
    A burned copy of the OS sounds like it's really from a torrent... unless you're personally friends with uTorrent...

But seriously, what are the odds you 'forget' your password (it's not a stolen laptop is it?) and you lose your OS install disks and you have an illegal copy of OSX, unless you're involved in a fair bit of illegal activity yourself?

I don't mean to point fingers.... ;)

6. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from someone who told me I would need to reinstall OSX. It didn't come with install discs.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yes, you follow the commands exactly as indicated. It's quite simple. :)

8. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to just erase the account and start a new one through this?

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Always ask for the install disks and always check for a receipt/serial number to make sure the machine isn't stolen.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Not with those commands, no.

If you just follow exactly what it says, you'll be fine. Trust me, it's absurdly simple to do.

11. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the only thing is I'm not sure what the username is. This guy sold it to me for 800 and said it was given to him because someone was in debt to him or something and said I'd need to reinstall the OS. I just found out it's actually running tiger...Will this still work?

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This doesn't sound shady at all....
    Why can't you just ask the real owner what their username and password is? and why not ask for the install disks while you're at it? :D

13. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

And I really don't care how the guy got it, I just know it's a 2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro for 800 dollars. It's a great deal, even if I have to deal with this ****. If it's running Tiger would it not boot from the leopard disc?

14. nephilim7 macrumors regular

your friend was smart enough to know a stolen mbp is traceable and has a serial number that can't be rubbed off.. it's part of the machine.

also if you want to appear hard, se portland isn't really your best option.

15. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

gPaul, get a proper disc, because the copied one you had received doesn't have a proper boot sector.

don't diss portland.

16. nephilim7 macrumors regular

not 'dissin' portland per se, but if you want to appear to be a proper 'gbanger' when you're threatening people on 'teh innerweb' while you're asking advice on how to use a pirated copy of leopard on what appears to be a stolen laptop.. se portland just adds that little bit of comic absurdity to an already stupid position.

17. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it was stolen. I looked up the serial and nothing comes up.

18. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the truth guys, I buy and sell macs off craigslist. Once I get it fixed I'll probably make 500+ profit off of this laptop. And the reason the leopard disc wasn't working is cause it was actually a copy of microsoft office...Should have tried it out before hand...

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So... you steal computers (or buy cheap and obviously stolen computers) and sell them (also illegal) and now you want our technical support?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.