2007 MacBook to be replaced by rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rolly1988, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Rolly1988, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

Rolly1988 macrumors newbie

Hi,

First time posting anything on here, although I've been reading threads on here for some time now. The wealth of knowledge is great!

I have mid 2007 C2D white MacBook which I initially bought for my studies at University. I have upgraded the RAM (maxed at a lowly 2GB), increased the capacity HDD and am running Snow Leopard. It has been my trusty device for 7 years now and is still running fairly well for my basic day to day needs. As you'd imagine though it is starting to show it's age and isn't quite as slick as it once was, the bezel and keyboard are becoming increasingly chipped around the edge and the battery is dying noticeably quicker these days.

I have been wanting to replace with a MBP for some time and my love of Apple products and keeping up to date have only intensified this over the years. However, since graduating I have had many other costs that got in the way; house, wedding and as a result now my wife ;) Back in my late teens and in to early twenties I had a desktop PC that I ended up spending quite a bit of money on making it high performance and upgrading etc. This has since died and my attitude has since changed and I've decided I wouldn't do that again with changes in personal life meaning there are now more important costs. I don't have a problem spending more on something but it has to be a bit more justifiable these days and in this case, a laptop that will last as well as my MacBook.

So, I feel I have reached a that point where it is becoming justifiable and I think the wife will probably agree with me now, well she better do anyway.

When I buy the new one it will be a 13" rMBP. In this form factor, what I want to know is what are the likely key differences between Haswell and Broadwell? Also, aside from this, are there any other spec bumps likely? What is the current crop like, particularly with the quality of the display, is it worth waiting for the next gen to smooth out any issues?

It'll be the only computer in the house and will be used for the usual things; Internet, videos, music, pictures (possibly some editing), MS Office, maybe some light gaming.

The classic buy now v wait I know, but I don't follow computer tech as closely as I used to and although I've read different threads/articles, I'd like to get some advice from you guys on here. I'm not in a major rush to buy right this minute as my MacBook still works, even if the chipped palm rests dig in to my wrists. I'm sure whatever I buy will be a huge bump but want to get a better understanding of options before I dive in. I'm also not going to keep waiting for the next best thing, it'll either be this current crop or the next one. I'll buy when I'm ready but just want a better understanding of options.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The 13" rmbp will be fine for your uses. Broadwell is the next iteration of intel's chips. Currently, they are on Haswell. Broadwell won't be out until at least end of 2014/beginning of 2015. The real-world improvement is as you would expect. Runs cooler, processes faster, or some combination of each depending on the chip.

3. Rolly1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So from what I've read then, Broadwell is a tick in Intel's tick tock cycle? So does this mean that they'll probably be focusing on efficiency over performance before a major improvement in Skylake? Or have I got this completely wrong?

Are there any other notable improvements expected for the next generation rMBPs?

Also, for the 13" model, is it likely Apple will stick with 4GB as the base or is it likely they may start at 8GB?

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Broadwell will be a tick according to Wikipedia, but it looks like a tock since it would be a move from 22nm to 14nm, practically the same (proportianally) improvement we saw from Sandy (32nm) to Ivy (22nm).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

I would wait. Even if it's just an efficiency bump, you could run a process in turbo boost longer than with Haswell without connecting to a power charger.

5. Rolly1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for that. It seems I might as well wait for the update.

I've read Intel plans to have Broadwell out in time for the holiday season. Is it reasonable to think the update will be out in in September or is this typically a little early?

Finally, what is turbo boost?

6. hamiltonDSi, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Turbo Boost is like NOS for cars.
    When the CPU needs more power it clocks at a higher speed during that task.

Let's say you are editing a 1080p video in FinalCut X ; the 13" rMBP has a 2.4GHz CPU, when you edit the video the CPU will clock to 3.1GHz.

7. Rolly1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. So the extra juice is there as a boost when needed but not on permanently. I assume its not on permanently for efficiency, heat etc.?

Thanks for your help guys.

Ideally I'm planning to buy no later than mid September as I'll be away with work at the end of the year so wanted to get it beforehand. Just hoping the refresh comes in time.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I recently bought the current rMBP in 13" size and it's a great machine. Don't be overly concerned with what's coming.... There is always something coming. If you are ready for an upgrade then go get a current MacBook Pro and be done with it. Start enjoying right away! ;)

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Yep :)