2007 Macbook with Corrupted Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by snips26, Jul 25, 2011.

1. snips26 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

So I've had a Macbook for quite a while now and have never had a single issue with it. It originally had Tiger loaded onto it but about a year ago I loaded Snow Leopard and haven't had any issues. So... over the weekend, my hard drive became "corrupted". I found this out because when I booted my computer, I got a gray/white screen with a flashing folder. After researching a bunch of forums, I put in my Snow Leopard install disk in and booted up the Disk Utility. I ran the "Verify Disk" and Repair Disk but got the "Your hard drive is corrupted. Back up any important information and reinstall MAC OS X" (or something similar to that).

So to make a long story short, I "erased" the hard drive and nothing happened. I still don't have the option to install a clean copy of Snow Leopard. I read that if you use the Tiger disk, it will work. So I tried erasing the hard drive with that copy and got the same result. However, I tried again this morning and got the following error: Disk Erase Failed "Input/Output Error". Anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? I tried putting in the Snow Leopard CD and now I can't even select the Hard Drive to Erase! Ugh haha.

So I'm at your mercy. Should I try any tricks that anyone has. Do I need to buy a new Hard Drive and install it? Do you think the Hard Drive is fried?

Thanks for any help!
    -Craig

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

If you aren't seeing the drive in disk utility then there is a hardware problem. Open up the computer and disconnect, then reconnect the drive. Then try disk utility again. If it still doesn't show up, you will likely need a new hard drive.